Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first brisket

1911Man
1911Man Posts: 366
Just finished my first brisket on my large BGE a short time ago (about 11:30pm). It went on at 9am today. Bought the whole piece from the local butcher shop (less than 10 minutes from my door) and trimmed it up this morning. Next time I'll probably let them do it and see what my end cost is to compare. Since I think it might have ended up costing me a bit less on this one that way. Considering how much fat I trimmed off of it. 

Trimmed up and seasoned:

Used some Spice Hunter steak seasoning on it since I have a jar on hand that I've not used so far. I also didn't want to go too heavy on the seasoning for this one. 

Progress shot around 2:45pm

Another from about 6:30pm. Temp was about 145F at this point. It hung there for a while before starting to climb again.

Final picture after pulling it. I had set the temperature alarm to 198F so that I could start checking it for being done. Everything I had found in my research said it would be done in the 200-210F range (depending on where you looked). I used a probe to check it for done tenderness and it slid right in easy.

Its resting in the oven now (which has been off for hours so room temp). I'll probably place it into the fridge when it drops below about 140F (or give it an hour or so). It will get warmed up for eating tomorrow since that's what I planned it for. About 14-1/2 hours total time on the BGE. 

I have a piece that I cut off since it was too long to fit on the egg otherwise. I'm thinking I'll put that on either later in the week, next weekend, or just freeze it and cook it up at a later time. Depends on how this one goes. 

I had thought about wrapping it in some butcher paper once it passed 165-170F, but held off for this one. I'll see how much charcoal is left in the BGE tomorrow when I clean up the drip pan there. I suspect I'll have a decent amount left since I filled it up pretty far.
Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
Living free in the 603 (Pelham).

Comments