Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All metal table?

Curious if anyone has ever built(welded) an all metal table. I have something in mind just never seen anything like it? I am thinking of square tubing as the legs/frame and the top and bottom shelf out of expanded metal/wire mesh like on a utility trailer. Thoughts? 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,833
    Paging @NPHuskerFL
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,983
    GaBGE said:
    Curious if anyone has ever built(welded) an all metal table. I have something in mind just never seen anything like it? I am thinking of square tubing as the legs/frame and the top and bottom shelf out of expanded metal/wire mesh like on a utility trailer. Thoughts? 
    No metal table idea here. BUT years ago I bought 2 really cool 24” metal cart wheels and axle rods with the intent to build a “cool” wooden vendors cart to hold my medium egg. I just have never gotten around (nor needed) to build it!  Guess those wheels are just two more things my executor will have to sell! LOL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    DMW said:
    Thanks Dwayne ✊
    Neither of my SS tables were technically "build outs".  The table that my LGBGE occupies was formerly a Pizza Hut 🍕 prep table.  A lot of mods and tweaks made it into what it is now.  We had to beef up framing and the casters because at the end we were guessing the total weight could be close to 1K#.  That said I just noticed the other day that a couple of the neoprene wheels on the casters were splitting.  This isn't a huge deal but it's something I will need to address in the future. I suspect the crack occurred because it doesn't see a lot of movement rolling around so from just sitting there with extreme heat and cold over the years it finally just split. I would not do it without casters because it is a nice option to be able to move it around.
    The table my MM resides on was a direct purchase from Webstaurant.com

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Back to the OP questions.  I like the expanded metal for many things but I personally would not want it on any of my shelving.  If I were building out an offset smoker I would probably want a heavy gauge SS expanded metal lower Shelf that was structurally beefed-up to hold all of my split wood and this would allow for good positive air movement underneath the wood. But on an egg table I would not want it because I am OCD about wiping down and sanitizing my work station. Having expanded metal would not be conducive to the way I want my work area NSF.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    DMW said:
    Thanks Dwayne ✊
    Neither of my SS tables were technically "build outs".  The table that my LGBGE occupies was formerly a Pizza Hut 🍕 prep table.  A lot of mods and tweaks made it into what it is now.  We had to beef up framing and the casters because at the end we were guessing the total weight could be close to 1K#.  That said I just noticed the other day that a couple of the neoprene wheels on the casters were splitting.  This isn't a huge deal but it's something I will need to address in the future. I suspect the crack occurred because it doesn't see a lot of movement rolling around so from just sitting there with extreme heat and cold over the years it finally just split. I would not do it without casters because it is a nice option to be able to move it around.
    The table my MM resides on was a direct purchase from Webstaurant.com

Used restaurant equipment store is your friend. I built mine from a prep table as well, casters and reinforcement are a must. Works great easy to clean.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,983
    RRP said:
    No metal table idea here. BUT years ago I bought 2 really cool 24” metal cart wheels and axle rods with the intent to build a “cool” wooden vendors cart to hold my medium egg. I just have never gotten around (nor needed) to build it!  Guess those wheels are just two more things my executor will have to sell! LOL
    Excuse me OP for hijacking your thread, but I was asked to post a picture of those steel wheels so here they are. I just might still build that street vendor's style cart yet!

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,705
    Buy one from @Tspud1 and save yourself the trouble!
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,513
    Buy one from @Tspud1 and save yourself the trouble!
    I like the way you are thinking. That expanded metal is a **** to work with
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for all the insight. @Tspud1 that is similar to what I had in mind, I would want it longer. I currently have a table that I built out of treated lumber and I’m just not happy with how it has held up. The reason I thought about expanded metal is so that the top would not hold water.