Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak?

Options
I have a five pound pork butt and a fresh bag of good looking RO lumps.  Do y'all think I can make the cook without getting any Rockwood lumps?  I going to cook at 275º and cook to internal temperature of 200º  I always cook with a SMOBOT and know my temperature will be very constant throughout the cook providing I don't run low on fuel.  Thanks and I look forward to your comments. 
Auburn, Alabama

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Absolutely...light it up, wait for the fire to burn clean, and you are good to go. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I use a lot of Royal Oak. I love Rockwood; I think it’s better - RO gets it done. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • flexfusion
    flexfusion Posts: 240
    Options
    Appreciate the quick reply SmokeyPitt.....I need to get started rather early tomorrow morning and don't want to take time to run and get Royal Oak.  Thank you!
    Auburn, Alabama
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    As others have said, Royal Oak is fine. I'm not a charcoal connoisseur, I have been known to occasionally use Kingsford Briquets, so my opinion doesn't count for much.   
  • DDzBGE
    DDzBGE Posts: 8
    Options
    Royal Oak is the only kind I can purchase locally, but it works for me
    XLBGE, Napoleon Prestige - North of GTA, Ontario
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,368
    Options
    I've never had any problems with Royal Oak.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    I use royal oak for every cook, bc it’s available and cheap. No issues whatsoever 
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    Ive burned a crap ton of RO. Maybe not quite as good Rockwood but for the cost I use RO every time.
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    I can’t find any Royal Oak currently. Walmart has every other make of briquettes but no RO lump. The Home Depots around here are also out of RO. I do like Rockwood but the convenience of RO is why I use it, and it’s reasonably priced. I had to buy 2 bags of BGE lump today, hope I don’t have to continue to do that as it was expensive. 
  • Gr_egger
    Gr_egger Posts: 77
    Options
    I never had an issue with Royal Oak, until recently.  I bought a 30# bag for $15 at Walmart and half of it is still sitting out in the rain. I bought a 15# bag from Home Depot 2 days later and it is keeping the 30# bag company. I might as well have been cooking over a tire fire!  If I can get a bag 20# of Rockwood on a “deal” for $25 vs a 15# bag of Royal Oak $13 a bag, ROCKWOOD everyday.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I’ve burned quite a few brands.  Some are smokier than others.  Burn it.  The only brand I recommend steering clear of is Cowboy.  They all have rocks, but finding pieces of insulation & plastic strapping tumbling out of the bag with the lump is a little disconcerting.
    Flint, Michigan
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,057
    Options
    I have cooked with many brands and find that the RO is good.  Cowboy on the other hand is horrible.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I’ve used lots of RO with great success. A couple years ago I got two stinky bags in a row. The off flavors spoiled a couple cooks. At the same time a couple local places started stocking Rockwood. I made the switch and never looked back. YMMV.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,522
    Options
    I am a bit confused by the difficulty in accessing Rockwood.  You can order it on-line and it is delivered to your door.  Can't get much easier than that.  
    BTW- it all burns.  As above, burn what you want and let it burn clean before you add the food.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.