Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT -- Custom Oversize Hot Tub Covers -- OT

Options
Any suggestions, recommendations, warnings?  Lots of vendors and fabricators pop up on the google machine and most have a significant trail of customer complaints. 

My need is a replacement for an inground, oversized, custom tub that was built and installed before we arrived -- I'd never have designed the Rube Goldberg albatross that graces my patio, but it works when it's working; the last cover I bought has reached the end of its useful life and is badly in need of replacement.   

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  
It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    Options
    This thread may be just the diversion needed on a Tuesday.  
    Curious as to the life of your current cover.  Max I could get was about 3 1/2 years (commercial tub and cover).  Could is the operative word as Got Junk became the owners of the spa a couple of years ago.  Did work well for about 19 years but a computer glitch started to cause major programming challenges to the point where it was time to go.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I owned a hot tub. I bought it new in 1994. It lasted me 20 years with very little trouble. I replaced the cover twice in that time period. I finally got rid of it to free up space on the deck for a larger smoker. It was fully operational when I got rid of it.
    As far as the replacement covers go, I bought them from the dealer, but they were aftermarket.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Existing cover failed, and failed spectacularly, after a long illness that has all but ended its unexpectedly long 5-6 year life.   At 107 x 107, it was prone to failure. 

Sadly, not much in the way of recommendation or comment from the forum.  Will head over to the hot tub forum and see what they have to say.  [j/k, I'm not on the hot tub forum -- too political and too many posts about things not hot tub related.]  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Do you not want to use the same manufacturer?  We have a tub and I grew up in a house with a tub, and those covers (the styrofoam lined covers with patent leather and baseball stitching) seem to last about 5-7 years :)

I think my next cover will be one of these.

https://smartopspacover.com/ - they do custom covers.

do you need a cover lift assist?  because it's in-ground, do you need to be able to support people walking over it?

• Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    Try the cover guys, I bought one from them after the original grove down. The replacement lasted8+ years 
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Thx, all.  Researched a bunch and they all seem to have lots of reviews online (many of them not terrific, noting specific/individual problems that sometimes turned into customer service nightmares).  Went with Hot Tub Works -- very easy to deal with on the front end.  I guess now I'm either an expert or a fool.  Maybe a bit of both.  Time will tell!
    It's a 302 thing . . .