Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: don't take anything for granted

Options
JohnInCarolina
JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,034
edited March 2020 in Off Topic
Friends it is with a heavy heart that I share the news we received today of a second suicide by a Duke undergraduate student during this pandemic.  Raj Mehta was a member of the class of 2022 and an engineering student, who took his own life while at home.  I did not know him but I can't imagine the pain his family and friends are going through right now.  Last week we learned of the death of Grey Spector, who was a senior and was all set to head to law school next year.  Grey was actually someone my wife had worked with while he was a student here in Cary, NC.  He comes from a great family and by all accounts had everything going for him.  Such a terrible loss.  

Nobody knows what these young men were going through, but suffice it to say this is a difficult and challenging time for everyone.  Naively I think there's a tendency to think the young people among us can handle it better than most.  After all, how hard can it be to just switch to taking classes online, right?  I think the reality is that for some the loss of community and daily interactions with friends is a real blow, especially coupled with a fairly grim situation in the outside world. 

During this time I am thankful for my wife, my children, my parents, and my friends.  I am sure many of you feel the same.  These are the things that matter.  But friends, please make the time to reach out to those you know during this period.  Ask them how they're doing.  Don't take anything for granted.  

Peace.

JIC
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,783
    Options
    So sorry to hear, but I fear there be more because of this....We are never giving more than we can handle trust in knowing that 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Sorry to hear John, I'm sure things will improve with the current situation as time goes on. Peace Brother 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,671
    Options
    Very sorry to hear this news John. Prayers go out to the family. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,221
    Options
    Terribly sorry to hear about this John. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I told my wife tonight I’m going to ask all of my HS students to check in with me through Zoom at least twice a week. I am having virtual office hours every day. This has nothing to do with education. I just want to make sure some of these kids see a friendly face a couple times a week. I know some of my low socioeconomic students must be struggling. I worry about them. 
    When this is all done I hope we truly try to understand the mental issues that effect so many of our young people. Personal relationships matter. 
    Good on you my friend.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,473
    Options
    That is so sad to read.  I can't imagine the depths one has to reach but as you note this is uncharted territory for all of us.  Thus extra vigilance is definitely warranted across the board.    
    Condolences to the families, relatives and friends as they work thru this.  Their lives are altered forever.  Sad, so sad.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,356
    Options
    Terribly sorry to hear this. We have to continue to look out for each other.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    It is an awful event to have to deal with as a parent, friend, relative or loved one.

Their pain is felt forever for those left behind.

Keep them all in your hearts....do not be afraid to be bold. Always ask when you feel something is wrong.

So tragic, so sorry for you John.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,369
    Options
    Suicide is so aweful. We have plenty of that in my line of work.

We also have been hit hard in the last week. A NHP trooper was brutally murdered, stripped of his uniform and had his patrol vehicle stolen while stopping to help and stranded motorist in a remote part of the state. There was also a deputy in neighboring county that was shot twice, at close range, from a shotgun. Luckily he is alive and the savage is not.
    Las Vegas, NV

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina I can’t help but come back to this thread. I’m so sorry for you, other faculty, and friends of these students. Mental illness is so devastating. You can set (and diagnose) a broken bone - and treat it. There is so much mental illness out there that is undetected and left untreated. Then this sort of thing happens. So sad...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @JohnInCarolina I can’t help but come back to this thread. I’m so sorry for you, other faculty, and friends of these students. Mental illness is so devastating. You can set (and diagnose) a broken bone - and treat it. There is so much mental illness out there that is undetected and left untreated. Then this sort of thing happens. So sad...
    Thanks Gary.  Hard to see the silver lining with something like this, but it is causing more faculty to reach out to students outside of the classroom during this period.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Not hurts a heart much more than seeing the loss of hope. It can hit any family/community out of nowhere especially in a time like this. I truly hate it for those left behind to try and sort through the wreckage. 

Thanks for bringing this up and into the forefront where it can be discussed. Sorry for the loss. Peace brother. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I told my wife tonight I’m going to ask all of my HS students to check in with me through Zoom at least twice a week. I am having virtual office hours every day. This has nothing to do with education. I just want to make sure some of these kids see a friendly face a couple times a week. I know some of my low socioeconomic students must be struggling. I worry about them. 
    When this is all done I hope we truly try to understand the mental issues that effect so many of our young people. Personal relationships matter. 
    A teacher friend posted this on her social media

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    That's just awful to read, John, but thanks for sharing. I'm sorry for your losses.

I was just talking with a neighbor yesterday about how our kids are handling this situation.  There are so many big event in their lives that are being disrupted in ways never before seen.  For so many of them, they don't see a light at the end of the tunnel, and it really is Earth shattering.

So sad.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Acn Exactly. Thanks for sharing that. The longer I teach the more I understand that in many ways the most important lessons I teach have little to do with my content (physics, CS). That content is just the “sandbox” we play in. The relationships and life lessons are important. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    I just learned this morning that a former student committed suicide last night. This is getting tough for a lot of folks. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I just learned this morning that a former student committed suicide last night. This is getting tough for a lot of folks. 
    Uggh so sorry to hear that Gary.  Damn.  
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    John really sorry to hear. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    Just found out a colleague's wife took her own life.  Talk to the people who are important to you.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Boileregger I’m so sorry. This is very tough on folks mentally. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Just found out a colleague's wife took her own life.  Talk to the people who are important to you.
    Wow that is tough.  So sorry to hear that.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    So sorry @Boileregger
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this is the third one that has impacted someone I know within the last five years, two adults and one teen.  As a dad of a tween, nothing more scary to me then having to deal with that.  Going to go out of my way with him to get him to talk about his feelings, as unnatural as that is for me.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this is the third one that has impacted someone I know within the last five years, two adults and one teen.  As a dad of a tween, nothing more scary to me then having to deal with that.  Going to go out of my way with him to get him to talk about his feelings, as unnatural as that is for me.  
    I don't know what one on a bbq forum can say (i.e. myself) can say in such a situation, but  it is painful to hear. . You're indeed a good friend to stand by your colleague.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    There's an invisible line between "I'm so sorry, what can I do to help?" and "I'm so sorry, I know what you're going through." The first gets a "Thank you, but we're doing okay"; the second gets an outpouring of experience. It's just human nature. The best thing they can do is be open about it, and they'll be surprised to find others who've been through it too, and 'understand'.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories