Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brussels sprouts

Options
Lit
Lit Posts: 9,053
Best way to grill sprouts? 

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited March 2020
    Options
    tossed with olive oil (or bacon grease), salt and pepper placed cut-side-down on a flat-surfaced griddle over high heat until well browned. Spoon a thin stream of honey over while hot and serve. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Cut them in half, coat with some stupid sh!t then walk them out to your trash can and dump them in.

Can't stand them...they smell like baby poop.

My worst nightmare (B.C.V.) was someone at the table next to me ordering them.

IMHO.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I like them in a skillet as well. I use bacon and some funky cheese like feta, blue, or gorgonzola. Embrace the funk!

I also like to top with basamic. Pretty much just like the 70s...embrace the funk, but then cut it with some acid. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I cut them in half, EVOO, S&P (or your favorite rub) then you can roast ‘em, grill ‘em, or stir fry ‘em. 
    We like them around here. I really like roasting them with butternut squash. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Usually I’ll split and par cook in microwave or steam or something, then toss with a little oil and hot and fast in a basket on the egg.  Toss with balsamic glaze is really good, or reduce OJ and make a vinaigrette.  
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Spilt and tossed in evoo.

I roast mine in the pizza oven but have used egg and over before in a cast iron skillet until they're damn near black 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    tossed with olive oil (or bacon grease), salt and pepper placed cut-side-down on a flat-surfaced griddle over high heat until well browned. Spoon a thin stream of honey maple syrup over while hot and serve. 

FTFY
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I like to mix in some coarsely chopped onion, lots of ground pepper, and bacon in there too.. agree with the halves/skillet/EVOO/Basalmic .. haven't tried maple syrup, but basalmic can get sweet, I'd do one or the other.

Don't over cook - should be a hot and somewhat fast  - it still have bite in the middle but warm, and charred on the outside.  It's when they turn to mush that folks notice a smell.  Imagine keeping broccoli stems crunchy, but cooked.  That's what you want.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Here’s my standard go to. Slice lengthwise and toss with OO, S&P. Place in a lightly OO coated CI pan cut side down on the stove stop over medium high heat until the sprout start to burn. Put the pan in a preheated oven at 375. After about 10 minutes in the oven, flip over the sprouts in the pan and continue cooking until your desired tenderness is reached. Usually about another 15-20 minutes for me.  Deglaze with balsamic vinegar. (The flavored vinegars from Gabby’s are awesome for this as well). 
  • Lit
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Have bacon fat and balsamic glaze so that the way I’m leaning. 
  • JustBuggin
    JustBuggin Posts: 109
    Options
    A little bit of Meat Church seasoning salt and oil, wrapped in foil then on the grill. Flip a couple times and done. Simple and works great for asparagus too.
  • AprèsSki
    AprèsSki Posts: 131
    Options
    Trim ends, toss with oil and spices and then place on a 1/2 sheet pan under two spatchcocked chickens for about 30 minutes and let the schmaltz bathe them in flavor. Toss mid-cook to keep from burning.
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • 2beast
    2beast Posts: 50
    Options
    Cut in half with onions (lots of onions!) in a hot skillet with butter or bacon grease 
  • Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Not grilled but my absolute favorite brussel sprouts dish...
    Cut in half, and deep fried till golden brown.
    Toss in a maple aioli (egg yolks, Mayo, bourbon barrel aged maple syrup, salt) 
    *have also added garlic from time to time
    Mix in diced (precooked) bacon, and raw red onion.
    Finish with Maldon flakes salt.

Soooo good! I brought this recipe home from a friends restaurant.

Brandon - Ohio

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Sheet pan roasted, pretty much always, but sometimes on a perforated veggie thingy for the grill or a cheapo pizza screen. Halved or sometimes shaved or sometimes both (crazy!!!) Salt, pepper, evoo, sometimes some balsamic, sometimes some shaved parmesian,  maybe some garlic. Always careful to not overcook. Making some tonight as coincidence would have it. 

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Lit
    Options
    Finally got around to cooking these. Thought I had burnt the first batch since the bottoms were really brown but they tasted great. Did cast iron on the stove then flipped them and into the oven for 15 minutes. I added bacon grease, seasoning salt, pepper, and lots of minced gsrlic. Gonna add a balsamic glaze to the next batch. 
  • Lit
    Options
    These things are so good. These had a balsamic and butter glaze at the end
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I cut in half, toss in olive oil and garlic, cook til browned well. Then a drizzle of balsamic sometimes 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I agree with all of these except the stinky cheese addition. That ruins everything! Ynette loves it, but it makes me gag. But I sure do love Brussels sprouts. 
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Super simple tonight. 380* for 15 minutes in the air fryer. Halved and tossed in evoo, s&p.

Once finished tossed in 2TBL Kerrygold, 1TBL red wine vinegar and more s&p

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    We do the toss in evoo, salt and pepper, onion and garlic, pan sear then oven roast, pull use balsamic and gorgonzola.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Best way is to not cook them.  Yuck! 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Similar to how cilantro tastes like soap to some people I’ve read that Brussels sprouts have a flavor compound that makes them taste rancid for some. My wife can’t stand cilantro because of the soap taste she gets from it. 

My parents both hated Brussels sprouts so I didn’t even try them until a few years ago when they started popping up on more menus. I like to do as many others posted and coat in oil and cook them in a CI pan. I coat them with Salt Lick rub which is just salt, black peppe, and red pepper. Sometimes we just eat them like that or we will drizzle with balsamic. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    We bake them into a pie with ground meat & cheese.
    Flint, Michigan
  • CPARKTX2
    CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
    Options
    Grilled are good, but here is a different method, and perhaps my favorite: you cut the stems out (actually much faster/easier than you would expect) so that you end up with loose, individual Brussel sprout leaves.  You then toss them in boiling water for 60 seconds, pull out, drain (but do not rinse), and toss with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and a bit of fresh lemon juice.  Just the right doneness, great fresh flavor, and super tender.  https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1178592/home-run-tonight-lemon-ginger-scallops-and-brussels-sprout-leaves 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Options
    Lit said:
    Oh yes! That looks amazing.  Exactly how my wife makes them, except she does them on a tray in the oven, and crisps up all the outside like you show. It's delicious!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Lit
    Options
  • Lit
    Options
    Lit said:
    Oh yes! That looks amazing.  Exactly how my wife makes them, except she does them on a tray in the oven, and crisps up all the outside like you show. It's delicious!
    Thanks. Forgot @DoubleEgger helped me out here.