Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse seared rack of lamb

Options
etherdome
etherdome Posts: 471
edited March 2020 in EggHead Forum
Went out of my wheelhouse this past weekend and purchased two racks of lamb from Costco . Never cooked lamb before and truthfully haven’t eaten much lamb in my life.  After researching the forum and surveying friends I decided on a reverse sear.  Seasoned similarly  to how I do rib roasts with olive oil , equal parts salt/pepper and smeared with fresh rosemary and minced garlic.  Heated egg to 250. No wood added. Just the lump.  Indirectly, I took  the internal temp to around 130 (hour) and removed from Egg. Final touch was a direct flaming sear for about one minute per side.  The results were great!!  I’ll definitely be doing this again! Thanks for looking.    Everyone take care of yourselves and reach out to those in need right now and don’t hoard ! 
Upstate SC
Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic

Comments

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Outstanding!
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Those look great. I have to admit I've never cooked a rack of lamb in my life. I have no idea why. I just don't think about buying lamb. After seeing yours, I might need to change that. 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Those look great. I have to admit I've never cooked a rack of lamb in my life. I have no idea why. I just don't think about buying lamb. After seeing yours, I might need to change that. 
    I was the same way. My 94 year old aunt who LOVES lamb talked me into it . No regrets . Admittedly , I like beef more but it was delicious . 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Your cook looks impressive. I cook lamb regularly but I  must admit that I  usually do loin chops. They are like a small porterhouse. I guess I'm too cheap for the rack.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Great cook right there.  Congrats on making the leap.  Nailed it.  Money shot tells the story!  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cmyachtie
    Cmyachtie Posts: 101
    Options
    Great job there, have done a few like that always turn out great, now I do them in SV instead of the reverse.....guess it’s still actually a reverse sear lol.
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I love lamb and I'd hit that hard.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    Looks great and will be trying this soon on rotisserie.  
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Love rack of lamb. Here's some I did awhile back.

These 2 racks were a combining of a few different recipes. First marinated in a home made Italian dressing, then made Emeril's mustard crusted rub. Cooked at 350 direct until 130 IT. Seared for a couple of minutes and then sliced with APL's board sauce.

Rack of Lamb
    Ingredients
    • 1 rack of lamb, trimmed (about 1 1/2 pounds)
    • 3/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
    • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
    • 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
    • 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
    Combine all to make a paste and rub on the rack.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    Your cook looks impressive. I cook lamb regularly but I  must admit that I  usually do loin chops. They are like a small porterhouse. I guess I'm too cheap for the rack.
    Think you will find that rack is less expensive than loin chops.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    Think you will find that rack is less expensive than loin chops.

Safeway frequently has lamb loin chops for $5/lb.  Never see rack for less than double that, usually closer to triple.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Prices vary quite a bit over time and location. This current week average loin chops were about 50 cent per pound more than racks (according to USDA stats).

I have never seen loin chops that cheep. Snatch them up and load up the freezer.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    great looking cook!
    Bookmarked
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Wow! My old man would love that cook. He’s a rack of lamb fiend. Bravo! @bgebrent is smiling down on you for sure. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    billyray said:

This is beautiful!
    If I get sick, I’m going to hang this photo  bedside along side photo of Elizabeth Hurley for inspiration!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas