Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Always a silver lining

Teefus
Teefus Posts: 1,204
So Bride of Teefus and I were out and about Saturday and found a rural grocer with the obligatory corned beef clearance sale in honor of St Patty's day. This difference was that this guy had points instead of flats. I saw this a good opportunity to make something yummy so I grabbed a four pounder. I soaked it in five gallons of water overnight to pull some of the salt out of it and put in on the Egg Sunday morning. After five hours in pecan smoke it measured 167* and I wrapped it in butcher paper. Five hours later it was at *205 and I pulled it and threw it in a small cooler. After a two hour rest I sliced it up and tried a sample. I'm glad I soaked it, as it was still pretty briny. The amount of shrinkage was remarkable. I trimmed more than a half pound of hard fat off it prior to applying a rub. It lost significant size during the cook too. Finished weight was 1.5#. After taking another look at the package I could see why. "Up to 35% solution added..." . Oh well. It made for some awesome hash this morning.
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments