Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Thermometer Replacement

Options
rlew
rlew Posts: 68
edited March 2020 in Beef
Recommendations on new thermometer for my BGE. Did a burn last weekend to clean it and again the thermometer succumbs to the burn!

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    My understanding is that the OEM thermo is unlikely to be destroyed by a clean burn. May have to be recalibrated. 

If it’s the original thermo that came with the egg, there should be a nut on the back. Boil a pot of water, and adjust that nut until the thermo reads 212F, or whatever the boiling point of water is where you live. 

Done. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    The provided Tel-Tru analog dome thermos are solid.  Give yours a calibration (granted single point) run as addressed above and I would guess you will be back in business.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Or you could just get a big ass thermo like this!

Signal Mountain, TN
  • rlew
    rlew Posts: 68
    Options
    caliking said:
    My understanding is that the OEM thermo is unlikely to be destroyed by a clean burn. May have to be recalibrated. 

If it’s the original thermo that came with the egg, there should be a nut on the back. Boil a pot of water, and adjust that nut until the thermo reads 212F, or whatever the boiling point of water is where you live. 

Done. 
    Will give it a try
  • SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    Options
    Seems like I saw somewhere on the forum that one should be careful as not all SmokeWare thermos are adjustable. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Freezing point doesn't change nearly was much so the ice calibration is fine in Denver, but you are right about boiling point.  Better living through science!
    Options
    Freezing point doesn't change nearly was much so the ice calibration is fine in Denver, but you are right about boiling point.  Better living through science!
    I pointed that out. It didn’t help my popularity any at the time, lol. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    SciAggie said:

Let’s just say I ask no more questions for the rest of the training...

I've been in that situation a couple times, throughout my career (usually involving Fault Tree Analyses, which aren't that complicated).  Good times.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Oh, so you're THAT guy.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Lol - no - not normally. Ok, I was being a bit of a turd about the lux because I knew no one in there had a clue what a lux was yet no one ask about it. 

The thermometer calibration issue truly frustrated me. The entire point of the Serve Safe training is for managers - the attendees - to understand safe food handling processes so that they can go home and train workers in safe practices. The folks we train are the same workers that handle the food consumed by the public. 

I saw the potential for someone attending that training going home and ending up taking and accurate thermometer and miscalibrating it to give erroneous readings. So what if they then accept a load of raw oysters that they think are safe, but really not because their thermometer is off by 4 degrees?

I was honestly trying to share my science perspective and understanding to help make the training better. I learned they didn’t want to be confused by knowledge - they just wanted to pass the test and get their piece of paper. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • ChasHum
    Options
    I did a clean burn. Got up to 750 at one time, but I kept it at 700 until it started to burn out. I did have recalibrate the thermostat. It was reading about 50 degrees F too low.
  • rekameohs
    Options
    SciAggie said:

I raised my hand and ask if anyone had a freaking clue what a lux was. I ask the instructor if they knew how many lux were in the training room as a reference. I got “the look” from the instructor. Well... I didn’t make any friends.

So - how many lux are in a typical room like that?
    I always thought the measurement was lumens.
    Raleigh, NC