Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some steel table ideas

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
I recently had a small fire under the LBGE on my ~10yo dealer table.  I was talking about it with a friend who's retired and a skilled welder with a home shop, and he said if I helped, we could likely build a table from steel in a day or two, and I can maybe learn some MIG welding (he also does TIG for welds he wants to look good).  He's built some smaller tables for heavy equipment, and thinks we'd be fine using 1x1 angle iron for most of the frame.  He showed me a table he built for a metal brake that was basically a box made from angle iron, sitting on casters.

I'm a little concerned that neither of us is a mechanical engineer, and so "how do you choose steel sizes/thicknesses not really knowing what it'll take to support the weight?"  He's thinking 1x1 angle, 1/8" or 3/16" thick.

I'm torn between basically copying the BGE table (egg off to one end) vs centering the egg and having "counter space" on either side.  Either way, if we go with the angle iron box idea, I'll have a bottom shelf just above the wheels, a second level shelf holding the egg and other stuff, and then the table top.  The bottom shelf might just be flat stock "slats" with a bit of space between each.  The second level would, I assume, need to be more substantial since it'll be egg-load bearing.

I'm thinking if we use some flat stock to make a top that supports large ceramic tiles, that might give me an easy to clean, high-temp compatible surface allowing for things like taking the adjustable rig out (while hot) and placing it directly on the table top.

Comments