Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Early morning ribeye

Options
Going through the freezer the other day, I came across a 7 year old choice ribeye steak. My food saver bag was still nice and tight, so I thawed it out and did an experimental cook this morning. I was going to have steak & eggs without the eggs. I covered both sides and edges heavy with kosher salt (you couldn't even see the meat), let that sit for 15 minutes and then rinsed it all off. Rubbed it all down with Worcestershire and seasoned with Oakridge BBQ's Spogos. I wanted to practice my 2 zone cooking on the BGE, (actually I guess you would call it 2 temperature cooking). Using the adjustable rig I set the bars in the lowest setting and placed my grill gates flat side up on top of the bars. I put the top grate on and got the temp at the top grate to 275+. cooked each side for about 15 minutes and then pulled at 115+. Then open the lid, took the top grate off and let grill grates get to 600, sprayed the grates with olive oil spay and also sprayed the steaks. Then re-seasoned the meat with Oakridge BBQ's Carne Crosta and put them back on for 90 seconds per side. They were a little salty because of the way I dry brined them, but all in all, really good flavor for an early morning cook.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    That is getting it done.  Way to deliver and nailed the finish as well.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Nice!  Thanks for sharing.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    That must be a record. I've never heard of anyone cooking a steak that was frozen for that long.
    Vacuum sealing is a great way to preserve frozen foods.
    I'm glad it turned out good.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    good cook to start the day!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    GregW said:
    That must be a record. I've never heard of anyone cooking a steak that was frozen for that long.
    Vacuum sealing is a great way to preserve frozen foods.
    I'm glad it turned out good.
    I'm OCD about dating my packages, but the down side is when my wife sees how old some of this stuff is, she wants to throw it out. :-)

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.