Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you make tender CARNE ASADA from Flank?

Options
2»

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    rifrench said:
         Flap steak, or bavette steak as it known in other parts of the civilised world can be very tasty.  It is good sliced thin, butterflied all the way through,  and cooked hot and fast direct to at least 130° IT.  It makes good Carne Asade.   I buy it by the bag at the closest Costco.

its sirloin tip steak here, pretty much all its called in new england.  makes gresat marinaded kabobs as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Man, sorry it costs you so much more!

I don’t do any extra tenderizing. Just season and grill hot and fast. When it’s got a good char outside the inside is medium rare and I slice against the grain. Here’s the Sazon I use. Goya should be widely available but I haven’t tried it. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Well, this has been a great thread.  I got some great tips on ways to tenderize flank, and also tips for Outside Skirt (which I tried) and Flap (which I have my eye on).
    Last night I went back to the other half of the original flank I started the thread with.  Pulled it out of the freezer and did two things...  smacked it around with a mallet, and then let it sit in pureed' pineapple for 20 minutes (15 would have been better).   Then I rinsed off the pineapple and pretty much just hit is with EVOO, fresh garlic, paprika, S&P.
    It was excellent! I can't believe it was the same cut of meat.  Very tender and flavorful.  You have to be careful with that pineapple though...  I figured out on the skirt that 30 minutes was too much.  20 minutes is just a hair too long also. I suspect 15 is the right amount to tenderize without changing the texture.

Next time I'll see if I can get rid of either the hammering or the pineapple and get similar results.

Some pics...  nothing special, but whatever.  PICS!  Left the meat on a hair too long, but was still tender so had no complaints;

after hammerring (had on some seasoning I had froze it with)

pureed fresh pineapple

rinsed, seasoned, ready to grill.

All done.  Good stuff.  Had the rest for breakfast with eggs this morning. (fried it up with some onions and made breakfast fajitas)

LBGE/Maryland