Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help/advice ref outdoor counter top

Options
2»

Comments

• jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
     The chlorapast strips were glued and placed to scale.  Every cut, curve etc.  Then each section was taken and layed on the granite.  I put masking tape down on the granite and traced each oiece out.  I purposely short stroked the grill and burner depth sonincould cut it on site for perfect fit.  This allowed for less seems.

Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Zoom in to see the little hot glue ELL brackets i made to help support it.  All angles hot glued over top itself didnt matter as i was tracing the out side edge.  This help get a perfect curve on multi levels to match
    Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Ref stone.  Each stone was cut to fit and secured with loc tite adhesive in a caulk gun style.  The bottom or 1st row was set in morter to adjust for the 3 inch drop that occurred over the 20ft depth.  That took about 10 hours 1st day.  Uneven stamped patio, sloped and angled.  What a pain.  I also used an auger and poured 15 sets or pillars of concrete below the gravel base so the kitchen couldnt drop or sink.  That goes around the curve.  Almost 5 ft deep.  Lastly that whole side is almost 10 inch thick.

Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Ref stone.  Loc tite CL3 paver adhesive. To be specific.  Stuffs amaizing.  Across any wide area.  Example.  Behind the grill, under the egg, under the pizza oven, arcoss the span in front of the opening above  the firewood.  Used angle iron to span the gaps for granite support.  The drawer beneath the egg, above it has 3 pieces etc.  Sawed into stone to make a channel.  Hope that helps.  I have never done anything like this and was hard to find help.  Guys were quoting $600 or more to make the template.  Anger caused me to say eff it and just do it myself.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Pretty amazing results.  
    New Orleans LA
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Lastly, someone asked about the mortar. Things learned the long way.  Because mortar was used to level the first row.  Remember to leave weap and drain holes for water to run out due to patio slope.  I dumped water from different angles to see natural flow.  Helped decide where to put holes.  Also scraped mortar from the edges so it was recessed more.  Then made a cement grout mix if you will.  Sure nond adhesive and powdered color and release from the stamp patio left overs.  Put it zip lock freezer bags and made a pastry bag out of it.  It was the only thing i could think of.  Before and after.  

Before.  Look at stone on pavement

And below after

Columbus, Ohio