Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

OT Has anyone used these?

So I'm a huge fan of the show Top Chef and Sheldon Simeon was one of my favorites.  I now follow him on Instagram and noticed that he was gifted some knives.  They look really cool and was thinking about purchasing one or some.  I was curious to see if any of you fine folks have used them before.  

https://www.nacionalebladeworks.com/
Midland, TX XLBGE

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 32,099
    Those look nice and price seems low.  You have to be committed to take care of these, they will develop patinas and you have to immediately wash  and dry them or they'll rust.

• Those look nice and price seems low.  You have to be committed to take care of these, they will develop patinas and you have to immediately wash  and dry them or they'll rust.
    Patinas?
    Midland, TX XLBGE

• alaskanassasinalaskanassasin Posts: 2,431
    @nolaegghead  they look stainless steel to me what am i missing?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.
    @nolaegghead  they look stainless steel to me what am i missing?
    On second look, some are.  I just went to the one that interested me the most

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 25,470
    no rust on my really old carbon steel knives, just cut onions, limes, and lemons and you are good to go, i dont even dry them off.  seen this a while ago, guy stuck it in an onion overnight

IMG

• HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 6,601
    Kurouchi finish eventually wears off. In case that's important.
    Knifes are made in the Philippines. Prices seem reasonable - assuming the build quality is there.
    Camped out in the (757/804)
  • I am a big fan of carbon steel with stainless steel cladding. Pricey, but really the best of both worlds.
  • alaskanassasinalaskanassasin Posts: 2,431
    I am a big fan of carbon steel with stainless steel cladding. Pricey, but really the best of both worlds.
     Interesting I had never heard of that. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.
    I am a big fan of carbon steel with stainless steel cladding. Pricey, but really the best of both worlds.
     Interesting I had never heard of that. 
    More frequently you see a VG10 clad in SS, but I just got a knife with carbon steel in the core.

that line is where the outside ss cladding ends and the carbon steel begins.  No matter how hard you try, a patina will develop....adds character.   That said, many of those knives are some kind of stainless so not a problem. 

• LitLit Posts: 7,667
    I have multiple high carbon knives and have had no issues at all. I wouldn’t leave them just sitting out wet for hours but I will cut stuff up and get dinner going then wash and dry them and you are fine. 
  • LitLit Posts: 7,667
    This one is around 8 years old with a good amount of use. Never seen rust on it.