Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison

Options
Hey all, A buddy at work have me some venison and I'm not sure what to do with it. I have eaten it it, just never cooked it myself. Any suggestions?

He gave me tenderloin, sausage and burger.

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Tenderloin is super lean, so cook max medium rare.  Various marinades will help with gamey flavors, if that's an issue.

Sausage and burger you can treat like the pork/beef equivalents, respectively.  Venison chili is great.
    NOLA
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    Nice! That’s a good buddy to give up tenderloins. Simple is best with those IMO. I usually season with SPOG and cook hot and fast to med rare, if grilling. Also a big fan of searing them in cast iron with butter or ghee and a little thyme or tarragon, basting with the butter after you get a nice crust. Again, no more than med rare. 

Sausage and burger are great for spaghetti sauce, bolognese, chili or anywhere else you might use ground beef or pork. Enjoy! You gave good eats on the way. 
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    Tenderloin with S&P and maybe some garlic powder. As buzd504 mentions, medium rare as max temp. Delicious.
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    Do you know if its a doe or a buck?  I've found that generally does are less gamey than bucks.  The tenderloin as mentioned above is a med rare tops cook.  Ground venison use like ground beef.  It's super lean
    NC - LBGE
  • onpoint456
    Options
    Thanks all. We did a little food drug deal. I gave him a bunch of smoked steel head, he gave me the deer. 

It is from a buck.

I was thinking of throwing the sausage in a low country boil this weekend and I like the idea of using the burger in chili.

• JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    I’ve always soaked venison tenderloins in butter milk for a couple of hours. 

My family prefers it to be battered in salt and pepper flour and fried. When served with homemade mashed potatoes and a good salad, the results have always been fantastic. 

If on the egg, I would still soak in buttermilk as described above and not cook over 118* and reverse sear. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,826
    Options
    tenderloin med/rare, dont overcook it.  with the sausage i like to poach it to 150 internal, cool it down a bit, then hot pan or grill. 150 is probably lower than recommended but venison sausage is quick to get to crumbly dry
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it