Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokin wings

Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
Got some leftover uncooked wings I seasoned up with buffalo rub from our NYE party. Thinkin about smoking em. Any tips? methods? I like the skin crispy. Direct/indirect? Internal temp at pull? 

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    After you season them, sprinkle some corn starch on them and they basically “grill fry”. I like raised direct if you have the means to do so. If not do them indirect 350-400. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Search function here is your friend.  About as many ways to cook wings as forum participants.  Pick one and go then change up one variable the next time til you  land where you want.  FWIW-
    Happy New Year.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I do mine raised indirect at about 400.  I never use corn starch since I don't care for how the wings taste with it on them.  Wings are always crispy.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Shiff said:
    I do mine raised indirect at about 400.  I never use corn starch since I don't care for how the wings taste with it on them.  Wings are always crispy.
    That works. You must have had some special flavored corn starch. 😜
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    If you can leave the wings in the fridge for 24hrs before cooking that's helped me.  I do raised indirect at 350-400 for 20min, then flip and cook for another 20min.  That's been working well for our household as of late.
    NC - LBGE
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Well shoot I didn’t get around to cooking my wings tonight. I applied the rub to em, threw some Saran Wrap on and put back in the fridge tuesday night, will they still be safe tomorrow night (Friday) to cook?
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Powak said:
    Well shoot I didn’t get around to cooking my wings tonight. I applied the rub to em, threw some Saran Wrap on and put back in the fridge tuesday night, will they still be safe tomorrow night (Friday) to cook?

I would pitch them.
    NC - LBGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited January 2020
    Powak said:
    Cook ‘em if they  pass the whiff test. 

Wings are fine hanging around in marinade for 2-3 days, so I imagine dry rubbed wings should be fine. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.