Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tallow Fried Guinea Hen - Snoop Dogg style

Options
I recently came across a video featuring a bunch of celebrity fried chicken recipes and Snoop Dogg's recipe won out.  I had a guinea hen on hand and used it in place of chicken.  I left out the orange peel the recipe called for in the brine and let the hen parts soak overnight.

Oak and cherry wood smoked guinea hen backbone & giblets and a combination of chicken and duck stock from previous sous vide wing cooks were slow cooked overnight and then strained to form a rich stock for gravy.

The brined hen was patted dry and received a quick soak in a buttermilk and egg bath before being tossed into a blended flour mixture.  Snoop's recipe calls for crumbled potato chips, in this case bbq chips.  I also substituted finely crushed tortilla chips in lieu of the cornmeal.

The guinea hen was then deep fried in rendered dry aged A5 Wagyu tallow.

Meat and carb (no veggie) dinner:

The brine and the slow cooked stock used for the gravy were the standout improvements as far as my normal fried bird and fixins' recipes go.  The meat was well seasoned to the bone and the gravy's poultry flavor was profoundly deep.  The chips, while maybe enhancing the crust's crispiness ever so slightly, added absolutely nothing to this dish.  The deep fry in tallow technique is also a keeper and I attribute the bulk of the crust flavor improvements and crunch to its use.  While the guinea hen was delicious, the texture reminded me of a more tender version of the smoked turkey wings I made some time ago.  Not a huge fan.  I have one more that I may have another go at, but I think chicken works best for this purpose.
It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
Egging in the Atlanta GA region
Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com

Comments