Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I put my BGE MiniMax & Kamado Joe Jr. head to head to find a winner - Small Kamado battle

Options
Got some notes asking for a comparison between the Big Green Egg MiniMax and my Kamado Joe Jr.  To illustrate indirect cooking protection I came up with a test using toast lol.

Still learning how to make videos, so appreciate any comments/tips you might have as well as the mandatory plug for likes/subscribe to the channel lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F8YK58dGzY

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Yes it’s a known issue with the MM since it came out. The junior is a much better and lighter option. 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Lit said:
    Yes it’s a known issue with the MM since it came out. The junior is a much better and lighter option. 
    I fixed the issue using a CGS woo ring but sharing stock to stock 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2019
    Options
    James I would say this is a fair comparison if we are talking a 100% stock BGEMM versus KJJR.  I am personally not from the year with the Junior stock setup. However, I am very familiar with the Mini Max stock setup. I was one of the first people to receive the original design. I have also received be upgraded plate setter and the updated carrier handle solution all of which were provided free from BGE corporate. Be toast comparison using the grid is deceiving in my opinion. I say that because you can position the plate Setter in several Waze all giving you different heights. That said I have always thought there's not enough depth and deflection of heat from the grid to the plate setter. That's why most of us have the CGS woo. But clearly that option is aftermarket. I noticed the heat transfer on the lowriderish MM.  My solution not only raised the entire hook her up but it also gave it more stability as well as dampening any road vibration Etc during transport.
    All in all I would say you have a good video with good unbiased information.

Side note... I already follow you on IG. Not on YouTube though at this time. I do follow enjoy watching clips from a cook named Matt on YouTube. He is one hell of a chef. Which brings me to my next pet peeve and this is not necessarily a dig at you but at all IG users. Are you an actual chef? It seems that everybody wants to put that as their title when really I think it should be reserved for those people that have actually dedicated their lives to The Culinary field and have some sort of real training IE School or that's what they do as an occupation. Just my .02 and opinions are like ****...everybody has one 😁
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Un-toasted bread is not toast yet, just bread.  =) Just messing with ya, cool video. I’ve subscribed.. 
  • speed51133
    Options
    Pfft, next thing you will say Instagram models are not real models....
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Speedy113 #truth now that's funny! 😂😂😂 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Lit
    Options
    Lit said:
    I fixed the issue using a CGS woo ring but sharing stock to stock 
    I had the woo also and it didn’t fix it just made it better. I also had both of them at the same time and the MM went on craigslist. 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I have had the small egg, and currently have the mini,mini max, and kj jr. The mini max and kj jr is sort of a strange comparison. The mini max is more mini than it is a small egg due to its short base. Although they have the same grid size and both have a carrier, the mini max is a better mini, not a better small egg or kj jr competitor. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I think of my MM as a charcoal burner more than anything. I haven’t used the other coolers so I can’t speak to how they would be better or worse. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    James I would say this is a fair comparison if we are talking a 100% stock BGEMM versus KJJR.  I am personally not from the year with the Junior stock setup. However, I am very familiar with the Mini Max stock setup. I was one of the first people to receive the original design. I have also received be upgraded plate setter and the updated carrier handle solution all of which were provided free from BGE corporate. Be toast comparison using the grid is deceiving in my opinion. I say that because you can position the plate Setter in several Waze all giving you different heights. That said I have always thought there's not enough depth and deflection of heat from the grid to the plate setter. That's why most of us have the CGS woo. But clearly that option is aftermarket. I noticed the heat transfer on the lowriderish MM.  My solution not only raised the entire hook her up but it also gave it more stability as well as dampening any road vibration Etc during transport.
    All in all I would say you have a good video with good unbiased information.

Side note... I already follow you on IG. Not on YouTube though at this time. I do follow enjoy watching clips from a cook named Matt on YouTube. He is one hell of a chef. Which brings me to my next pet peeve and this is not necessarily a dig at you but at all IG users. Are you an actual chef? It seems that everybody wants to put that as their title when really I think it should be reserved for those people that have actually dedicated their lives to The Culinary field and have some sort of real training IE School or that's what they do as an occupation. Just my .02 and opinions are like ****...everybody has one 😁

Thanks Blake, great points!  Part of the difference I think is being from Canada vs. the US.  BGE distributors outside of the US aren't as easy as pinging Bruce and getting the updated HW.  My MM is a first gen, and after 6 months of petitioning I was eventually able to get an updated fire ring and the hardware for the nest handles so they don't break. Appreciate the input, trying to keep it real and fair and learn how to do videos all in one lol.

Fair, I've done classes but by trade am not employed or trained as a chef and at the time only picked as the IG categories were really limited.  Looks like kitchen/cooking is an option so I changed it lol 

• PigBeanUs
    Options
    I gotta video of me going to the Piggly Wiggly. 

Www.PigBeanUs.com
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    I have had the small egg, and currently have the mini,mini max, and kj jr. The mini max and kj jr is sort of a strange comparison. The mini max is more mini than it is a small egg due to its short base. Although they have the same grid size and both have a carrier, the mini max is a better mini, not a better small egg or kj jr competitor. 
    I have the mini and the MiniMax, two large eggs, two classic joes and Joe jr so can’t speak to the small egg but having the mini and the MiniMax I wouldn’t put them in the same group. 

I forgot the members name on here that modified a MiniMax carrier to work on a small egg which IMO is what BGE should have done. 

The Joe Jr and MiniMax are within a few lbs of one another, offer the same size cooking grid to not call them a competitor when both are designed to be moved around with a carrier from the factory I wouldn’t agree with. BGE doesn’t offer a carrier like the MM for the small and the mini doesn’t have near the same capacity or utility as the MM or Joe Jr. 

• Lit
    Options
    I have the mini and the MiniMax, two large eggs, two classic joes and Joe jr so can’t speak to the small egg but having the mini and the MiniMax I wouldn’t put them in the same group. 

I forgot the members name on here that modified a MiniMax carrier to work on a small egg which IMO is what BGE should have done. 

The Joe Jr and MiniMax are within a few lbs of one another, offer the same size cooking grid to not call them a competitor when both are designed to be moved around with a carrier from the factory I wouldn’t agree with. BGE doesn’t offer a carrier like the MM for the small and the mini doesn’t have near the same capacity or utility as the MM or Joe Jr. 

I did a 6lb shoulder on the mini. 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Lit said:

I did a 6lb shoulder on the mini. 
    If I ever do a video on my mini for that size grill I will be sure to mention it