Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Fire Ring

Options
the Fire ring on my large BGE cracked in two places. It still stays in place on top of the fire box,  but will this have a negative effect on the cooking capabilities? Thanks. 

Comments

• Eggin_in_PA
    Options
    Not at all.. Egg on.
    York County, PA
    Large BGE 2014 - CGS adj rig, spider, and stones..
    Mini Max 2018
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Get one coming and keep on rolling 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    As mentioned, get the warranty replacement and store it for later. My firebox is cracked and I have a brand new one still in the box stored in my garage for when it’s really needed. 

Only need to worry about it if/when it crumbles apart or has too big of gaps that let air through.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I forget the egger who coined this term so I apologize...

There are only 2 types of BGE fire boxes and fire rings...those that are unbroken and those that are broken.

Now...I'm back to being me...

Many of us have new boxes and rings in storage received after making warranty claims and are still using the broken boxes and rings. My Large fire box was in 7 pieces before I finally pitched it. My Small is still in 3 pieces and works just fine! 

You might ask why those of us who get our warranty replacements but still use the broken parts...some dealers have come and gone over the years where just knowing our dealer was basic for a sufficient warranty claim. OTOH some new dealers think they need pictures of your first born child, a copy of your parents marriage license AND no less than all 2 to 14 parts of your broken fire box or fire ring just to prove you might not be a criminal trying to steal a part.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SmokeyLopey
    Options
    My dealer made me swap out my cracked fire box to get a replacement. New one was made with an error...everything now wobbles!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    My dealer made me swap out my cracked fire box to get a replacement. New one was made with an error...everything now wobbles!
    Unless he has since made it right - then here's a trick which should solve the wobbles. First determine which piece is the culprit - but I imagine it's the fire ring. OTOH does the ring wobble on the fire box, or do they sit OK, but the bottom of the fire box wobbles? If the latter then in time ash will fill the void and it won't wobble anymore. However if after placing the fire ring on a known flat surface and it wobbles you can solve that issue by placing it on a concrete floor, garage or sidewalk and by skooting it back and worth it will wear down the offending high spot.

And if you don't want to do any of the above take the parts back to your dealer!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.