Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustments while hot...

Options
Any concern with making adjustments while the egg is hot? I lifted my dome to baste my Mad Max bird, and my top gasket just stayed laying right there on the base. No biggie. I closed the dome and had several decent leaks though. So I grabbed a couple wrenches and readjusted the dome to stop the leaks. But that got me thinking, the bands are hot, thus a little expanded. I don't think they’ll tighten to the point of detriment when they cool, but figured someone here might have advice that would cause me to take heed. Worst case, I could just back everything off a turn or so when I shut it down for the day. So any advice or warnings out there? 

The good news is, I won’t have much surface prep to do for the new gasket...so I got that goin’ for me.

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I frequently adjusted the XL when it was hot. Never had an issue.

We do the same when cooking on demo eggs where the assembler had it wonky 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Stock gaskets sucks . Contact RRP and get a good bottom gasket . I’ve had zero issues since I installed a Rutland .  Many many issues with stock gasket , including egg freezing shut in winter . 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??