Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey temps and prepping bird

Options
Hoops10
Hoops10 Posts: 35
edited November 2019 in EggHead Forum
I volunteered to do the bird this year as I have always wanted to do a turkey on the Large Egg.  I tried one last year and it came out ok.  I am looking for recommendations from the masses :)  I have read smoking at 225, 250 and even all the way up to 300.  What temp do most use?  Also, I have about a 17 lb. bird this year, so any idea on how long?  Last question, how do you all prepare your bird?  Last year, I think I used butter under the breast skin and then maybe just salt and pepper (can't remember.)

BTW, I plan on using Applewood to smoke it.  Thanks for any and all help. 

EDIT:  My brand new Smoke from Thermoworks should be here today, so pumped :)

Comments

• Raideregg
    Options
    I have a #20lb bird, I want to smoke at 300 degrees any idea what min v pound equals too?
                      Raideregg
    I Like Big Eggs and I can not lie!
    XXL,XL, L and MM
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    I'm doing a 15# bird today for Thanksgiving. My target temp is going to be about 250F (225-250F) since I have plenty of time to do it. I don't do anything to the bird other than shove a probe into it's breast (thickest part) so that I know when it's done. Remote thermometer connects up to my phone via Bluetooth with a set done temp of 165F. When it goes off, the bird comes off and then gets to rest before I hack it up. 
    I have done birds at 300-350F as well. I like the results from the lower temps more. I also use black cherry and sugar maple for flavor woods (equal amounts of each). 
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    imo if you cook it low and slow it tends to dry out.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• 1911Man
    Options
    @alaskanassasin Never had an issue with smoking the turkey in the 225-250F range. As long as I put the probe in the right spot and pull it at the right time/temp. I also leave the skin on to help keep it moist.
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
  • Hoops10
    Options
    I think I am going to smoke my 17 lb. turkey at 275*.  What kind of rub do most of you all use?  I was thinking about putting slices of butter and some cloves of garlic under the skin on the breast but I want to know what kind of rub to sprinkle on the turkey before putting it into the smoker.  Thanks.
  • 1911Man
    Options
    I don't do anything for flavor adds when smoking turkey. The wood gives me everything I want. K.I.S.S in full effect. 
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    I will also 2nd much of what's already been stated.  I've not done a low n slow turkey but the overwhelming opinion on the matter seems to be that it'll dry the bird out.  I did very light smoke with mine.  One handful of wood, so only a few chunks.  Depending on how you cook the bird will determine the time to finish.  I did mine (and doing today's) spatchcock so the cooking time is basically less than 2hrs.
    NC - LBGE