Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium BGE and V rack

Going to make a 12lb Turkey in a medium egg, by placing it on a V rack.  Would you recommend using a drip pan or foil on the inverter?  The V rack is almost a long as the ceramic inverter making it very difficult to get a rectangular pan in there.  The medium round disposable pans by the BGE are not big enough to place the V rack in them.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Where are all the proud Medium Egg users?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Proud medium owner here. Sorry haven’t done a turkey in one. Go with foil if the pan doesn’t fit. Should work fine. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    @RRP

Ron, I know you only bake in your Medium Egg.
    But will a standard aluminum half steaming pan fit in the Medium to hold a v-rack?
    Figured you had a few of those foil pans at the house.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Photo Egg said:
    @RRP

Ron, I know you only bake in your Medium Egg.
    But will a standard aluminum half steaming pan fit in the Medium to hold a v-rack?
    Figured you had a few of those foil pans at the house.
    I think a half size disposable steam table pan should work. I don't have a medium but just measured a pan and it is 15 1/4 inches diagonally. You can fold the corners down to make it a little smaller if needed.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    I've done 14# birds in my medium BGE. IIRC, one was a bit over 14# (under 15#) using my woo ring, stone and stainless pan. I did one, before getting the woo ring, with the rectangle aluminum pans, but you have to make sure it is positioned exactly right so that you don't drip past it. Had flare-ups on one bird due to not positioning it right. Got the woo ring after that and haven't had an issue since. 

I've smoked them both at around 350F and 225-250F with great results. I like how it comes out at the lower temperature better. Using a remote thermometer (connected to my phone) to let me know when it's time to pull it (165F in the thickest part of the breast). 

Makes GREAT soup afterwards too.  :)
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).