Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry aged Japanese wagyu ribeye

Options
So last night  I celebrated my anniversary with my wife. We decided to go out for dinner.   We dined at an expensive steak house.  I chose the Japanese wagyu ribeye. It was aged also but they never said how long it was aged for.  They called the ribeye a certain name is started with a H or A because it was extremely marbled. 

When I received my steak it had a really strong smell and not a great smell. I’ve had dry aged American beef and it had a smell but it smelt had a real beefy smell.  The steak I had last night smell like Sh__t. I ate it and I didn’t get sick I’m guessing it was ok???  Has anyone else’s experienced this? 
Ewa Beach, Hawaii

Comments

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I can only go off my experience with the Japanese A5 Wagyu packer brisket that I just finished dry aging in order to answer this question.  It's been dry aged for 108 days and definitely has a smell to it, although not like "sh_t" as you experienced.
    It smells earthy, like mushrooms.  However, when I cooked a sliver of it, it did not smell like typical dry aged beef.  It's not an unpleasant odor by any means.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Can you kindly change your Avatar photo...to a grill I can afford...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    haha I’ll see if I have any photos of my egg. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    g37 said:
    haha I’ll see if I have any photos of my egg. 
    Joking, please don't change it. I would be proud of it!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas