Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking A Turkey On The Egg

Options
Looking for advice on best recipes for smoking a Turkey on the Egg!  I plan to brine the Turkey overnight, but I have seen varied recipes from smoking for 30 minutes at 400 then reducing to 325, or slow cooking at 200 for 15 minutes per pound.  Any recommendations?

Comments

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    You are in for a treat. I prefer salt dry brine vs a wet brine as it helps the skin get crispy. 

I like higher temps for turkey. If you’re bird is wet from the brine and your at 200 degrees and your smoke isn’t blue it will make the skin rubbery. 

I would ride as low as 350 or as high as 425
  • micheggin
    Options

Turkey on the egg

place thawed turkey breast up in two foil pans. I use this method because I like to retain the broth/juice as it cooks and the reason I double up the foil pans is because inevitably I will get a puncture and lose all the juice so the extra pan helps keeps the moisture.   I usually inject the turkey with a mixture of melted butter and chicken bouillon, you can season the exterior/skin with whatever you like for a rub,  I usually keep it more mild because I would rather the turkey taste like turkey for Thanksgiving. But you can get as creative as you'd like with injection flavors and rubs.  Build a med/large size pile of lump in the firebox – light it and establish a 350 temp consistently, place the turkey in the foil pans on -  plate setter/heat deflector legs down and then I always put a pizza stone on top of that set up just to keep from burning the bottom, it also just helps equalize for more even heating, place three or four small – medium size chunks of smoker hardwood chunks of Hickory or alder or apple wood or whatever you like on the coals just before you put the turkey on, cook the bird 350° consistently and 15 minutes per (turkey) pound just like you would in the oven and check internal temp at 165 degrees to make sure it is safe to eat.  not rocket science so don’t be intimidated.  haven’t done this yet but i might do breast down in the juice sometime… not as pretty but might be delicious. send pics and happy thanksgiving!

IMG_2920JPG

IMG_2241JPG

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg

(you cut out the backbone and cook opened)

I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)

Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 

Or, just add a package of legs extra. 

I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 

If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 

I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.

I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.

NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)

I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 

Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 175

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)

Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..

Equal part: Brown Sugar..

½ part: Black Pepper..

½ part: Kosher Salt..

½ part: Garlic Powder..

¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..

Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Do y’all think there is enough room on a Large for a spatched turkey raised direct?  Concerned that the bird will hit the dome. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    500 said:
    Do y’all think there is enough room on a Large for a spatched turkey raised direct?  Concerned that the bird will hit the dome. 
    It fit on my ps woo 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    500 said:
    I can do a 14lb bird on the top rack of the AR in a large. You're good
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You are in for a treat. I prefer salt dry brine vs a wet brine as it helps the skin get crispy. 

I like higher temps for turkey. If you’re bird is wet from the brine and your at 200 degrees and your smoke isn’t blue it will make the skin rubbery. 

What does the color of smoke have to do with rubbery skin?  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options

What does the color of smoke have to do with rubbery skin?  

You don't want to cook in 'dirty' or white smoke. Need to let the wood (chunks or chips) burn off for a bit. You will see a light haze or blue smoke. That's smoking! Not the white puffy stuff billowing out of the top.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m