Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ruh-Roh!

Options
LowandSlowJoe
LowandSlowJoe Posts: 8
edited October 2019 in Pork

I purchased a 7.5 lb Boston Butt today to smoke tomorrow.  Estimated cooking time:  15-16 hours at 225F.  Well, that's more time than I have tomorrow.  I decided to cut the butt down the middle, along the bone, giving me TWO pieces of meat, each approximately 3-4 lbs.  That should reduce my cook time by about half, right?  What could possibly go wrong?

*cue Looney Tunes theme music*

I now have not two, but FOUR pieces of Boston Butt, each of varying sizes.  I've got a four probe thermometer so that's a little bit of good news.  Guess all four probes get used tomorrow, eh?

I'll keep you posted.

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited October 2019
    Options
    My advice is to tie them back together with string and cook the butts turbo at 325-350.  That solves your timing issue and your different sized pieces issue.  Ain’t pork butts great?  So forgiving and so delicious!

edit: I should mention that a turbo butt typically takes about 4-5 hours.  Ymmv
    Flint, Michigan
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Just bump up the cooking temp.  You will not notice a difference between 300 and 225 except for the actual cook time.   You will be fine. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • lentsboy007
    Options
    Turbo those suckers 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I don't care for turbo, but even 275-290 will get you there much faster with little difference in the final product.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options

Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    As said, cook it at 350, itll be done in a few hours. You wont notice a difference 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• LowandSlowJoe
    Options

Thank you, Everyone, for your good ideas and the meme (I was tempted).  I took the turbo advice to heart and it made a big difference.   The pork was ready to be served before sundown. 

On route to this, however, the pork IT was 190*F when my fire . . . died.  Rather than lose too much IT while I got a new fire ready and going, I transferred the pork to our oven and set the oven to 350*.  It took a little while but the pork finally finished *hanging head in shame* in the oven.  I let it set for a while and then shredded it.

I did get to grill some bell peppers and asparagus on the new fire, using direct heat.  That turned out pretty well.  My wife liked the pulled pork and has been nothing but supportive.  What matters to me is she likes it.  Now, I need to work on the timing of my food cooking so things are ready at the same time.  I'm open to suggestions and tips on the timing issue.

My favorite thing I fixed, though, was an afterthought.  I put olive oil on some almonds and put them in a BGE vegetable cooking dish over 500*F direct heat.  They were a little too toasted but they were good. 

Thank you, again, for all your kind thoughts and good suggestions.

• 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    Hub said:

I thought the advice was to not stop drinking to begin with. ;)
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Late to the party, you got great suggestions and glad it worked out well.

Sorry, your initial plan reminds me of someone who, when challenged with aggressive project deadline, would use the line 'you can't put 9 women in a room and produce a baby in one month', jk  =)

btw, are you in GWN, eh?
    canuckland