Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Retirement hobbies

Retired Jan 1, and have played golf almost every day this summer and fall.  Done by late afternoon, then go home and cook dinner on the BGE.  Have a glass of wine ready when the wife gets home at 4:00, and dinner ready at 7:00.  

Wife is only 58, so she plans to work a few more years.  For some reason, I think she resents me retiring, and “ having fun playing golf” every day?  I tell her it’s exercise and keeping me fit.  Not sure she is going for that.  What are you retired guys doing for fun???

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Retired Jan 1, 
    Congratulations. Enjoy my friend  👍

What are you retired guys doing for fun??
    Unfortunately I will never get to retire 
     :s 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    edited October 2019
    As long as the laundry is done, the dishwasher's empty and dinner is on the  way what can she say?
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • I was at a funeral home this summer and saw my neighbor from when I was growing up.  He graduated with my brother four years before me.  He’s bragging about how great retirement is.  He asks my brother when he’ll retire.  My brother finished putting his youngest through college a year ago.  My brother says maybe four or five more years.  He looks at me and I introduce him to my sixth grade daughter and ask “Now, what were we talking about?”
    Flint, Michigan
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    Hoping I can retire in about 5 years. I enjoy woodworking and have put together a nice little basement shop. I'll do some volunteering as well. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Retired Jan 1, and have played golf almost every day this summer and fall.  Done by late afternoon, then go home and cook dinner on the BGE.  Have a glass of wine ready when the wife gets home at 4:00, and dinner ready at 7:00.  
    Nothing to add other than I want that life. We are expecting kiddo #2 in May and I'll be 35 in April so I'm expecting to be pretty jammed up until at least 55 or so. At this point I'm just praying one of these kids takes to golf so I can have an excuse to play more.
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    im going to do the things i do now when i retire, fish, drink champagne on mountain tops, camp, boat, and cook, and kick kids off my lawn =) had a guy retire a few weeks ago, his hobbies are eating breakfast at a diner and walking around in home depot
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The work part of retirement... cleaning out all the junk accumulated, and getting affairs in order. Something neither my or wife's parents did.

The fun part was getting back into wood carving. Was making walking sticks for awhile, till the arthritis got too bad. Glad to have a few now to help climbing hills, etc.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    We travel. Ok, just North America but stay gone a lot. Guys do it while you can. Seen way too many people put it off till one gets sick, go now. 
    I’ve said this before but seem to have just as much money in retirement than before. Not sure what the hell or how much was spending before. Just do it now before it’s late. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    edited October 2019

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Retired Jan 1, and have played golf almost every day this summer and fall.  Done by late afternoon, then go home and cook dinner on the BGE.  Have a glass of wine ready when the wife gets home at 4:00, and dinner ready at 7:00.  

Wife is only 58, so she plans to work a few more years.  For some reason, I think she resents me retiring, and “ having fun playing golf” every day?  I tell her it’s exercise and keeping me fit.  Not sure she is going for that.  What are you retired guys doing for fun???
    Is it really exercise when you're in a cart - I've seen that little souped up golf cart you got!   B)  I play twice a week and walk - got a clic gear cart a couple years ago and love it.  
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    TN_Egger said:

Is it really exercise when you're in a cart - I've seen that little souped up golf cart you got!   B)  I play twice a week and walk - got a clic gear cart a couple years ago and love it.  
    Surprise. If he rides every day he is double or tripling your exercise output for golf. 😜
  • Carhoch
    Carhoch Posts: 20
    We are traveling a lot in our class A Motorhomes with a mini max and a 22” Blackstone 
    Suffolk,VA .XLBGE ,Blackstone griddle.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    An interesting thread for me, I'll be retiring in 3 months.  I'm sometimes wondering if I jumped the gun, I've got plenty of hobbies to keep me busy but don't feel like I should be stopping, yet; kinda hard to articulate.  I'll give it a few months, and if I get bored the GBSD program (Ground-Based Strategic Deterrent, the replacement ICBM for the Minuteman III) is ramping up here at Hill AFB, and the contractors are very short of engineers (it helps that I spent most of my career in the MM III/nuclear weapon field, and I've held all the security clearances).     
    We'll see.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Botch said:
    An interesting thread for me, I'll be retiring in 3 months.  I'm sometimes wondering if I jumped the gun, I've got plenty of hobbies to keep me busy but don't feel like I should be stopping, yet; kinda hard to articulate.  I'll give it a few months, and if I get bored the GBSD program (Ground-Based Strategic Deterrent, the replacement ICBM for the Minuteman III) is ramping up here at Hill AFB, and the contractors are very short of engineers (it helps that I spent most of my career in the MM III/nuclear weapon field, and I've held all the security clearances).     
    We'll see.  
    Contracting on a day rate usually pays well too.
  • @Botch...you will get a lot of offers for consulting work!  I’m on LinkedIN, and get a lot of job offers weekly.  I prefer to work from my hone office, and am a Guidepoint Advisor.  You should register with Guidepoint, and they will send you invitations based on your field of experience.  They pay well ($100-150 per 60 minute call), and it goes right into your checking account!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited October 2019
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TN_Egger said:

We got a ton of rain this summer, so most days at my municipal course we’re “cart paths only”.  I dropped 20# over the summer, even considering I had a cart!
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Any of you that are preparing to retire soon prepare for the psychological side. I  retired last Christmas and I'm still adjusting. I was so concerned with the financial  side that's all I considered. Be prepared. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • No one's suggested hookers and blow yet?  That surprises me...

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited October 2019
    td66snrf said:
    Any of you that are preparing to retire soon prepare for the psychological side. I  retired last Christmas and I'm still adjusting. I was so concerned with the financial  side that's all I considered. Be prepared. 
    Agreed.  It's been said: "Retire to something, not just from something."
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Worked two years at a bbq dealer after retirement, loved it!
    canuckland
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    TN_Egger said:

We got a ton of rain this summer, so most days at my municipal course we’re “cart paths only”.  I dropped 20# over the summer, even considering I had a cart!
    You’ll learn to aim for the paths before too long. Lol. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    I plan on working in some capacity... as long as I'm able, until I die.   I'm kind of taking my bucket list retirement trip now! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Spilt stack and heat with wood? 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • TN_Egger said:

Did that for a while, but the “road rash” from concrete paths is really hard on ProV-1’s. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    TN_Egger said:

Did that for a while, but the “road rash” from concrete paths is really hard on ProV-1’s. 
    Oh yeah. I hate cart path only. It’s just easier and faster to walk it. 
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    I dream of retiring one day (28) but when I do I plan on volunteering or something. Can’t stand sitting around the house...
    Dyersburg, TN