Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SV for Brisket Hold?

Options
GoooDawgs
GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
edited October 2019 in EggHead Forum
I've been messing around with my Anova that I got a few weeks ago, and so far I'm loving the results for steaks and chicken.  The Sous-Vide Everything guy on YouTube has done lots of briskets via Sous Vide where he smokes them for 3 hours and then cooks them at 140 degrees for a couple days.  Apparently he thinks they're better than smoking them the whole time.... seems crazy to me. 

BUT it got me thinking about the possibility of holding the brisket via Sous Vide.  Cook the brisket as normal on the egg, let rest on the cooling rack for 30 minutes or an hour, then put it in the water bath at 140 degrees for an extended hold - similar to Franklin's 12 hour holds.

The bark may soften, but if I let it cool enough before it goes in maybe it wouldn't.   Any thoughts?  Maybe I could finish a brisket 8 hours before I need to slice it this way? 
Milton, GA 
XL BGE & FB300

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Somebody has to give it a shot.  Serving at around 140-145*F is a sweet spot.  I agree with your thought that the bark may soften but beyond that I think you may have a workable concept.  Let us know how it turns out.  BTW- I don't own a Sous Vide rig. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I’ve done 1-2 briskets at 155 for 36hrs (I think) then on the egg for a few hrs to get some smoke. Doesn’t pick up a lot of smoke that way, but there’s enough. Served soon after. 

Did it that way to time it right, since I didn’t have to worry whether it would be done in time for serving. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    I generally don't comment on flags that I get on posts but to hit my comment above that directly addresses the OP's question with "off-topic" merits a question about reading comprehension. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    A guy that owns a small restaurant here brines the brisket for 48 hours, smokes it for a work day (6 hours?) and then holds it sous vide for 48 hours at 149F.  It is pretty good.

Options
    lousubcap said:
    I generally don't comment on flags that I get on posts but to hit my comment above that directly addresses the OP's question with "off-topic" merits a question about reading comprehension. 
    I'd imagine it was fat fingers. I've never flagged, hit off topic, or disagreed with someone here on the forum. 

I'm always checking to see if it was me when one does pop up on a post. It happens on accident more than I'd like to admit with these sausage fingers. I wish the forum made it a little more hard to press the off topic or disagree button. Kind of like how the flag button works. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Agree with @WeberWho. I clicked off topic on your post to make sure it wasn’t me (and when it went to 2, I promptly clicked again). 

Probably just someone hitting it by mistake
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I probably fat finger those buttons all the time.  Both the agreeing and disagreeing ones.  Just scrolling on through, occasional agreements or disagreements as I go.  I wish the buttons would be gone.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Thanks everyone.  I'll give it a shot and report back to the group. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300