Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Instagram?

Anyone here on it ? Everyone at work bugging me to get one, I refuse to do facespace. 
Have the stars aligned for you once you got a page?
Seriously what are the good things of the account, looking for real world...not the perspective of 20 year old girls

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I think our Bengal has an account but I'm not on it.
    It’s a good place to post pictures of food lol. I follow other cooks, cyclists, and runners...
    I’m wood_fired_foodie...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I think our Bengal has an account but I'm not on it.
    She's an influencer, actually.
    NOLA
  • Facebook is for family and Instagram is for friends iw what I heard a 20 something say recently. Facebook is so littered with news, spam, etc which can make it a pain to surf. Instagram is focused on images and captions so it is much more visually friendly.
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    I'm on it solely to follow other culinary enthusiasts - https://www.instagram.com/barbecue_addict
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    tbutleriv said:
    Facebook is for family and Instagram is for friends iw what I heard a 20 something say recently. Facebook is so littered with news, spam, etc which can make it a pain to surf. Instagram is focused on images and captions so it is much more visually friendly.
    This is accurate.  My niece was explaining it to me and showed me the 2 pages of one of her high school friends.  The girl's facebook page was focused on family and looked fine.  Her instagram page made her pretty much look like a stripper, it was pretty sad.  I would assume the girl's parents are friends with her on Facebook, then she intentionally left off her Instagram or they don't even know she has it.  

I don't really know of any benefit for an adult to be on Instagram for a personal account.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Today is the first time that I have been on Instagram. Either I've been too focused on my BGE journey or I'm just a wee bit older than a 20-something. (Or both)  ;)

Coincidentally, here's an example of a woman who is making money on instagram that appeared on sfgate.com today. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Instagram is my favorite social to follow on my phone. Kinda like turning the pages of a magazine but better. When I have time I can easily scroll through pretty pictures and be inspired. Here is our Instagram https://www.instagram.com/dizzypigbbq/ 
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Our 15 year old does Instagram, I think that's the target audience.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Much like FB, Instagram is designed to be addictive.  It knows what you like, and keeps putting pics in your "feed" that it knows you will like.  So you keep swiping and looking......and thus seeing SPONSORED content.

And even if you see something that isn't sponsored on IG, there may still be compensation going on in the background you don't know.  "Social Influencers", "Ambassadors", etc.  These are the folks that get free stuff, money, etc for hyping your brand, page, or merely just reposting your pics.  We get dozens of requests every week of people wanting to do this for us.  Apparently all the other charcoal companies will send you a free pallet or pay you if you have 5000-10000+ followers.  The thing is, once the free stuff is gone, there they are with their hand out again for more free stuff or their allegiance to you is gone......and they're now the biggest supporter of the next company they can get free stuff from.  This is all driven on follower count and number of likes that you can pull off your Insights page.

Here's the interesting thing.......because IG doesn't get a cut of the action from these folks, they have been experimenting with getting rid of like and follower counts.  These would absolutely destroy the whole "influencer" industry, because companies looking to use you for publicity wouldn't know if you have a 100 or 100,000 followers.  That would force brands to go through sponsored promos, using their targeting.  It would put an end to all of the "Hey everybody, this is the best [whaetever]".....just because they got it for free or got paid to say that.

We do not give out free, or discounted charcoal, nor money to ANY influencer, ambassador, comp team, etc.  So any positive feedback, customer pics and comments, etc. is 100% organic, unsolicited, and genuine.
    They’ll send you lots of free product if you’re willing to bash another company.  We’ve received free charcoal from a competitor, and they wanted an “honest” review....and to let others know how much better it is than ROCKWOOD....some of these companies are ruthless.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    If you refuse to do Facebook, you might as well refuse to do IG since the former owns the latter and the ads, etc. are right from FB plus staffing is mostly FB employees anyway. Personally, I abhor social media so this site is about as far as I’ll go. If this is for a work-related thing, I can understand wanting to advertise.
  • ryantt
    https://instagram.com/the_buckeye_bbq

this is what little chef and I post on the most.  

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Yes.  Same handle name NPHuskerFL
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    edited October 2019
    I've followed a few new ones here. I have 2 accounts feel free to follow neither/either/both: marksdoll and griddlemark. Most topics include cooking, golf and my GSD Aspen.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Im on IG but not FB

IG is great for food pics. 

matt_86m if you want to see pics of food, my harley, and stupid stuff. Im not that interesting
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • fence0407
    Matt86m said:
    Im on IG but not FB

IG is great for food pics. 

matt_86m if you want to see pics of food, my harley, and stupid stuff. Im not that interesting
    Followed!
    Cumming, GA  

• zahulio
    zahulio Posts: 135
    I actually enjoy Instagram. Very few trolls. Most comments are positive. I follow almost everyone who has posted in this thread, and i love seeing their cooks. 

I enjoy showing off my own cooks too! http://www.instagram.com/halalbbqpitmasters . It’s nice to share with an international community. I’m truly surprised how many people around the world are interested in Texas BBQ.
  • fence0407
    zahulio said:
    I actually enjoy Instagram. Very few trolls. Most comments are positive. I follow almost everyone who has posted in this thread, and i love seeing their cooks. 

I enjoy showing off my own cooks too! http://www.instagram.com/halalbbqpitmasters . It’s nice to share with an international community. I’m truly surprised how many people around the world are interested in Texas BBQ.
    Enjoy your posts!
    Cumming, GA  

• ryantt
    @zahulio love your cooks and post!!! You post some killer stuff

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I didn't post a link to mine - https://www.instagram.com/wood_fired_foodie/
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • I need to start posting more.  Hell, I need to start cooking more.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • ryantt
    SciAggie said:
    I didn't post a link to mine - https://www.instagram.com/wood_fired_foodie/
    We are following 

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    https://www.instagram.com/campbellsbbq    here.  

I love @SciAggie 's account...great content.
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7