Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome Adjustment

My LBGE is about 8 months old. Noticed that it had developed a large under-bite. Tried to make adjustments but apparently I'm doing something wrong. Did the dollar bill test, on the left side of the dome it passes, on the right side fails. Help. I cook on this 3 or 4 times a week. Thank you

Comments

• I just replaced my bands with the new style. No adjustments needed. I recommend them.
  • Draugo
    Draugo Posts: 3
    Thanks for the feedback! Could mine be warped and if so would that be covered under my warranty? I do a lot of high heat cooking.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,823
    Seems like if your egg is 8 months old, you should have gotten the new bands.  I think if you didn't, a warranty replacement is reasonable.

NOLA
  • Draugo
    Draugo Posts: 3
    Thanks. Yeah its diffidently the older hinge and band assembly
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I would definitely complain to the dealer since he sold you old stock.  Either he or the BGE Mothership should give you a free set of the new bands.  They should fix your problem.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    The issue can be fairly easy to correct. The underbite is a result of the bands being installed too far up and or down on the ceramic haunch. The bands should basically line up with the transition between the gasket and the ceramics. Make sure they are parallel to each other all the way around. What tends to occur is the lower band slips downward due to the expansion and contraction. Sometimes people reposition the bands further on the ceramics because it just looks like they should be pushed on there further. 

When the bands are pushed onto the ceramics too far they actually begin to activate the hinge action which the first action is pulling the lid slightly backwards. 

Good luck.