Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked egg

Options
Well, my egg broke. I repaired it with some Rutland gasket cement. Hope it holds. 

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Original buyer with warranty, no reason to hope it holds. It’s replaced free.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    Was it from mishap of some sort? Or did it just crack?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,524
    Options
    To throttle it back a bit, the fire box is a distance away from a broken BGE although the BGE is OOC w/o it.   However, I'm guessing it could hold its functional shape until the new one arrives.  And yes it is definitely a warranty item and there should be no issues with your dealer honoring the claim.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options

Current firebox/ring situation.  Still cooking as I await a warranty replacement. 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Looks like his fire bowl and base cracked 

Warranty time 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• cookingdude555
    Options
    One of my eggs does not have a warranty, I used JB Weld ExtremeHeat to patch its flaws.  Cracked base, fire ring, and fire box.  It works best when there is a clean break and you can get the material between the two pieces.  In some cases I just put a coat over the cracks.  The parts that were separated have held together after two cooks so far.  The first curing one was just keeping it around 600 to cure it.  The second was just some sausages.

• CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    Metallic repair paste, huh? Ive never used it. No worries about off-gassing or the compound affecting food on the egg?

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried using refractory cement or something similar to fix busted fire rings or boxes? Or would it not hold under the stress of removing the parts from time to time? 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    CornfedMA said:
    Metallic repair paste, huh? Ive never used it. No worries about off-gassing or the compound affecting food on the egg?

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried using refractory cement or something similar to fix busted fire rings or boxes? Or would it not hold under the stress of removing the parts from time to time? 
    No worries, it says it’s safe for bbqs on the label. 

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    CornfedMA said:

I tried using refractory cement to repair a crack in my original firebox (without expansion joint) a few years ago.  It held for a while, but the cement kept flaking / peeling, perhaps due to different thermal properties versus the ceramic, and the patch didn't hold.  Eventually I swapped in a warranty replacement. 

LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • PSC
    PSC Posts: 148
    Options
    thank you guys for your comments

I cannot replace parts under warranty, I'm in Mexico and different warranty conditions apply.

the firebox is a no-issue to me because it serves its purpose broken or not, my concern is the integrity of the base, so I hope the gasket cement  stops the crack from spreading or separating completely

first cook done, cement cured and lets keep on bbq'ing

I'll revive this thread if changes arise.

regards