Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili — Over the Top with Buffalo + Chuck

Options
Fall weather calls out for chili on this football SundayFunday!

It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Oh this looks eggcelent!!  Please provide the recipe
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    Dayem!
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Mighty fine looking bowl of chili.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    Looks yummy!
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Looks really good and what a great idea. I never thought about grilling tomatillo 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    That looks freeken awesome...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Oh this looks eggcelent!!  Please provide the recipe
    Recipe?  It's chili -- kind of threw it together, but here are some things I did this time.

For the meat, it was 20 oz of buffalo patties + 1 lb chuck that I ground. and formed into a ball.  Spiced with ground cayenne, chipotle, cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper and some other spices that were at hand.  Cooked it "over the top" for maybe 3 hours, til it was crusty and 145-ish inside and then chipped it up and let it cook in the base for another 2 or 3 hours.  All low and slow, at 225-ish +/- with a chunk of post oak for smoke.

For the base, I sweated/sauteed 1.5 big spanish onions, 6 or so cloves of garlic, 3 bell peppers (yellow, orange and red), a whole bunch of crushed/diced tomatoes.  Added 3 ears of corn, stripped.  And some Tabasco pepper jelly (maybe 2 tbsp), just because I saw it in the pantry.  And some anchovy paste.  And 1/2 a jalapeno, cored, seeded and finely chopped.  And some hot sauces I had around (tabasco, of course, and something I brought back from Costa Rica that was very hot -- maybe was heavy handed with that). 

When the meat cannonball went on the grid over the top of the base, I put set up some tomatillos, a poblano and tomatoes on the vine for roasting.  When they got all soft and smokey, I pulled them, peeled the skins, used the hand blender to combine them with a bit of salt and added the mixture back to the base.  Another 2-3 hours or so watching football and we ate at the start of the 4th quarter of NFL on Fox.  Was hoping for more leftovers, tbh!  In all, it was a really fun fall cook.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    That looks fantastic! I've been so tied up working on my house lately that my wifes Grandma came over a few days ago and made chili for us. I've been craving another bowl since. This pushed me over the edge. Chili will be made this week busy or not. Thanks!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    This looks killer. I plan on entering my neighborhood chili cookoff in a few weeks. I’ll use some of your technique.  
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    500 said:
    This looks killer. I plan on entering my neighborhood chili cookoff in a few weeks. I’ll use some of your technique.  
    I'm humbled and honored!
    It's a 302 thing . . .