Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Might Be Beef and Pork Are Not Bad For You

Options
LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• FlyOverCountry
    Options
    I don trust anything from the New York Dimocrat Times.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    The author is a Kentucky Colonel, that good enough for you?
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    The author is a Kentucky Colonel, that good enough for you?
    Her name is Pina Colada?  LMAO!  Does she like getting caught in the rain?
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Great news for all our Kansas ranchers.  Time to put the “Eat Beef” front license plates back on the 4x4’s!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Has anyone found Rooster? He is still missing.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    edited October 2019
    Options
    The article definitely leaves one with the impression that the groups and individuals who vehemently oppose the new findings are significantly more concerned with the how the public will feel about being 'misled' and what that means for those who produced the previous findings than they are with the actual research results.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Sixty-five years of eating barbequed beef beats seventy years of eating oat bran.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited October 2019
    Options
    smokingal said:
    The article definitely leaves one with the impression that the groups and individuals who vehemently oppose the new findings are significantly more concerned with the how the public will feel about being 'misled' and what that means for those who produced the previous findings than they are with the actual research results.
    The NYTimes article has spawned a lot of rousing conversation on some other forums I visit. Here's an additional link for those that can't read the NYTimes piece(s). - https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/30/healt..._medium=social

The thrust of the articles are that the folks (NutriRECS) behind this new study feel that there is insufficient information of high enough quality to really make a scientific determination that eating a little less meat really has any significant health benefit for most folks. It also doesn't say that eating a lot of meat is necessarily a safe and healthy thing to do.
    In the back and forth between the various camps I think this paragraph seems of interest:

"NutriRECS's own data show that a moderate reduction in red and processed meat consumption within a healthy eating pattern can reduce total mortality by 13%, heart disease mortality by 14%, cancer mortality by 11% and type 2 diabetes risk by 24%," said Hu."

Those don't seem like insignificant numbers to me but we all judge risk differently.

I got a kick out of these paragraphs:

"Recent nutrition research has also grown more sophisticated by looking at real-life scenarios instead of a simple eat or avoid red meat study design. The new approach discovers what people eat instead of red meat when they cut back. Is it really the whole grains, fresh fruit and veggies that nutritionists recommend?
    "What we've seen is that Americans seem to be committed to eating horribly in a number of fascinatingly different ways," Gardner said. "You're not eating meat. Great! What did you have for dinner instead? Oh, a highly processed cheese pizza -- no wonder your health hasn't improved."

Since there will always continue to be disagreements as to the best diet for humans I guess we can't totally discount the possibility that Woody Allen got it right in his classic movie "Sleeper" - maybe the key to living a long healthy life is to eat a lot of steak and smoke a lot of cigarettes.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Either way I'll add meat to the list of everything else in this world that might kill me and ignore.
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Looks like the lead author wasn't truthful about not having any conflicts that might impact the study:  https://www.yahoo.com/news/scientist-discredited-meat-guidelines-didnt-133708562.html
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options

"Recent nutrition research has also grown more sophisticated by looking at real-life scenarios instead of a simple eat or avoid red meat study design. The new approach discovers what people eat instead of red meat when they cut back. Is it really the whole grains, fresh fruit and veggies that nutritionists recommend?
    "What we've seen is that Americans seem to be committed to eating horribly in a number of fascinatingly different ways," Gardner said. "You're not eating meat. Great! What did you have for dinner instead? Oh, a highly processed cheese pizza -- no wonder your health hasn't improved."

Enter the new non-meat whopper LOL
    NC - LBGE