Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PORK BUTT QUESTION

Options
So decided to do an overnight cook on a 8lb butt for football on Sunday.  Set up the egg at 225 with the FB300 and put the protein on at around midnight.  I was figuring on around a 12 hr cook give or take. I normally cook mine turbo but I wanted a trial run for an upcoming brisket.  

10hrs in it was at 159 IT which wound up being the stall.  Sat there for anohter 3 hrs.  I finally had to wrap and bump the temp to get it to the finish line.  It was a 15hr cook with a 2 hr wrap.  My question to you all is does this seems like an abnormally long time?

Came out fantastic!

10 HR in..

Pulled Tacos, Mexican Street Corn, Avocado and Tomato salad
LG BGE
36" Blackstone
Weber Genisis
Cold IPA on tap!

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Wow looks great! When I run a butt at 225 it usually takes 2.25+ hrs per pound. People will tell you there is no need to cook that long but I enjoy it! 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited September 2019
    Options
    It looks like you did a super job.

I smoke butts at 225 also and have close to the same cook time per pound as you experienced. 

No reason to "fix" what obviously worked for you.

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Great looking spread..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I would have figured on 16 hours for 8 lbs at 225°. I do mine at 320°. Takes about 7-8 hrs. I start in the morning, no temp controller, no overnighter. =)

Good lookin' food there! Love Mexican.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Are you putting the pit probe on the grate or attaching to the dome thermo?  225 grate usually has a higher dome temp for the first half of the cook. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Spillin
    Options
    Probe was at the grate.  Yes normally take a few hours for them to catch up
    LG BGE
    36" Blackstone
    Weber Genisis
    Cold IPA on tap!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    I only run with the dome thermo but your cook was well within the norm.  I have had4-5 lb butts take two hours/lb at around 260*F on the dome and 7-8 lbs average out at aorund 1.25 hrs/lb at the same temp.  Like the cow, the pig drives the cook.  FWIW-
    Great outcome for your efforts.  Congrats. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.