Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Allergy, not OT

Options
Yesterday I heard that my grandnephew have broken out twice after eating pulled pork. One used Sweet Baby Rays sauce and the second time it was doctored up SBR. Any ideas what the bad ingredient is ? Allergies run in that family, his grandmother is deathly allergic to mushrooms. I could make him some sauce , I have several recipes, but I have to have some idea what not to use myself. . He has no problem with ketchup and mustard.

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    ^^^This

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    ^^^that

allergy test and follow up shots, although not cheap or covered, have done wonders for my youngest.  He’s allergic to outside.  
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,349
    Options
    ^^^^those 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Lone Star tic, perhaps.
    Options
    ^^^^^that thar
    I already suggested going straight to the allergy doctor for testing. That was just last night though. I can easily whip up a sauce that avoids the iffy ingredients that I saw there. Natural flavor in a broccoli rice casserole ended up having mushrooms in it, sending my sister to the ER.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if he is ok with kethup, he should be ok with a simple vinegar sauce but he needs to be tested. my bet its the natural flavoring or the pineapple or the starch
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Or maybe something in one of the sides or in something he drank. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Or maybe something in one of the sides or in something he drank.
    Two different restaurants. Only thing in common was pulled pork with Sweet Baby Rays. I am banking on natural flavor derived from mushrooms since that put my sister, his grandma, in the emergency room once.
    Still going to mention allergy testing when I am there this weekend.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    My son has allergies (nut and seed) and I have always wondered  about and avoided using nut woods while smoking... no clue if one can actually be allergic to the smoke from a nut wood or not...
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I will have to wait until he’s been tested. The kid has eaten my dry rub before without a problem. I seldom use sauce and if I do it’s a higher grade than SBR.
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Out of the ingredient list, I’d go with the pineapple being the culprit . As others have said though, food allergies are nothing to mess with and they tend to show small signs initially and then get exponentially worse with more exposure . Test. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    ^^^^+1
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Food allergies tend to increase in intensity with each repeated exposure.  So while someone may have not had a noticeably negative reaction to something they've eaten in the past, subsequent exposures can lead to significantly more serious reactions.  I wouldn't put too much trust in your grandnephew's lack of a prior response to various ingredients.  
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I'm not, I already insisted that he be tested when I was on the phone tonight
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Does your grand nephew have problems with beef or lamb too?? As mentioned above, the Lone Star tick that carries the enzyme Alpha Gal can make people allergic to mammal meat. It can be tested for. Good luck! Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Does your grand nephew have problems with beef or lamb too?? As mentioned above, the Lone Star tick that carries the enzyme Alpha Gal can make people allergic to mammal meat. It can be tested for. Good luck! Chris
    No he doesn’t. He is also 400 miles East of Texas and never been any closer then New Orleans.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    No he doesn’t. He is also 400 miles East of Texas and never been any closer then New Orleans.
    Even tho it's called the "Lone Star tick" it is found mostly outside of Texas...

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    That would truly bite.
  • rifrench
    Options
    Tick borne Alpha gal allergy is one of my biggest fears, I'd hate to live on fish and chicken.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia