Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Smart TV...Hulu, Roku, questions

Options
2»

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    My apologies in advance if this has been addressed already.. Is there a difference in picture quality by streaming vs using the cable box?
    That all depends on your internet speeds.  Typically you can get better picture quality with streaming because they offer a 4k option where as most cable providers do not.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• johnmitchell
    Options
    My apologies in advance if this has been addressed already.. Is there a difference in picture quality by streaming vs using the cable box?
    That all depends on your internet speeds.  Typically you can get better picture quality with streaming because they offer a 4k option where as most cable providers do not.
    Thank you.. I just ran my test with Spectrum who is my cable provider and my download speed is 116.8 mdps and upload is 11.7 mdps I am a dinosaur with this stuff, how does that sound for streaming quality ?
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    John-

you will be fine with those speeds. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    Options
    I have two Roku TVs, a 50" Insignia and a 55" TCL. What I love about them is the simple remote that handles everything - OTA, Streaming, etc.. No juggling remotes, no trying to program a "universal" remote. One simple remote to control them all. The picture quality is excellent (Both 4K) and streaming performance is flawless. We use Amazon Prime for most of our streaming and the integration of premium channels such as HBO and Showtime is seamless. The only problems I have had is (1) the TCL doesn't play nicely with my sound system via ARC so I have to use an optical cable and (2) if you use the Live Pause feature for OTA with a USB Flash drive the drive eventually wears out and causes skipping during live play.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    johnmitchell said:
    I just ran my test with Spectrum who is my cable provider and my download speed is 116.8 mdps and upload is 11.7 mdps I am a dinosaur with this stuff, how does that sound for streaming quality ?
    I'm only getting about 26 download, and have no trouble watching free TV shows and movies.  

I did finally get off my butt and hooked up my 4K FireTV Stick.  I tried powering it off a USB port on the back of the TV; once I got the language set it told me to move to a separate power adapter, but it also had a "Continue" button, so I hit that, logged into my wifi, it downloaded new software for about 6 minutes, set up my remote, logged into my Amazoid account, I selected the "apps" I thought I might use, and everything seems to be working fine.  It's only playing through my TV's speakers right now, so I'll have to fiddle with that, and I haven't tried streaming anything in HD (the TV itself is not 4K, I don't think).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    You need about 5 Mbps download for HD streaming. You need around 20-25 Mbps download for 4k or UltraHD streaming. Of course, that is per device streaming at the same time. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Botch
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    You need about 5 Mbps download for HD streaming. You need around 20-25 Mbps download for 4k or UltraHD streaming. Of course, that is per device streaming at the same time. 
    Much thanks, that's a good reference.  

That's one irony about growing older; we finally have 4K, and I can afford a $4,500 camera lens, but my eyes are so bad I can't appreciate them.  I can afford nice speakers with sparkling tweeter performance, but I have multi-tone tinnitus in both ears.  I can pay cash for a smokin' fast motorcycle, but my knees won't bend enough to get on the damn thing...
    Bother.  :angry:

EDIT:  Oh yeah, while I had all my passwords and magic keys out, I tried firing up the old Roku again, and realized it was updating very out-of-date OS, took awhile, but then I was able to download the SiriusXM app (Sirius just recently allow you to use the same account for your car, devices, and home), and am now listening to RealJazz on my home music system,  Yes!!  

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    How you guys like the TCL tv's? I was thinking of buying a 75". Reviews seem pretty good and they are under $1500
  • Dollinger
    Options
    if you have a slow internet connection, you may want not want to use the smart TV built in interface as it has much less buffering capability than the stand alone devices. I like the Roku but each has it's own plus and minus. 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    edited September 2019
    Options
    My download is about 4mbps average and i can watch Netflix, hulu, etc. 

Living way out in the sticks has its disadvantages 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I would imagine your current situations allows you to have an app on a mobile device (a phone is not necessary, just a tablet of some flavor and WIFI). 

• cheap tablet w/ TV app
    • Cheap Smart TV
    • mirror or "sling" the video to the TV from the tablet.
    no service change or monthly charges incurred.

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    MY ESPN app on my FireTV is much better than my Spectrum cable box.
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• aem
    aem Posts: 146
    Options
    poster said:
    How you guys like the TCL tv's? I was thinking of buying a 75". Reviews seem pretty good and they are under $1500
    I'm generally happy with my 55R615. I did have problems getting it to work properly with a sound system via HDMI after the 9.1 update, but once I switched to an optical cable all is well.
  • KatieHolland
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    You need about 5 Mbps download for HD streaming. You need to go around 20-25 Mbps download for 4k or UltraHD streaming. Of course, that is per device streaming at the same time. 
    Thank you.. I just ran my test with Spectrum who is my cable provider and my download speed is 116.8 mdps and upload is 11.7 mdps I am a dinosaur with this stuff, how does that sound for streaming quality ?
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    You need about 5 Mbps download for HD streaming. You need to go around 20-25 Mbps download for 4k or UltraHD streaming. Of course, that is per device streaming at the same time. 
    That should be plenty.
    NOLA
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options

A projector seems like a better option for outdoors for a variety or reasons. What are you using for sound? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    Yup, to @Toxarch's point, that will be more than sufficient for HD streaming, even with multiple devices on the network.

@milesvdustin I used to have that problem - when I moved to DFW everything changed.  I get 500Mbps via Frontier FIOS for $50/mo....it's unreal.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Botch
    Options
    Botch said:
    I tried firing up the old Roku again, and realized it was updating very out-of-date OS, took awhile, but then I was able to download the SiriusXM app (Sirius just recently allow you to use the same account for your car, devices, and home), and am now listening to RealJazz on my home music system,  Yes!!  
    And it hasn't... happened... again.
    I go to "Real Jazz, by Sirius XM", and it pulls up the picture, does the little spinny thingie, says "Cannot download content", and repeats.  
    My new-to-me Oppo disk player is now hooked up, so I'll ignore Sirius at home, for now.  
    Bother.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    SonVolt said:

A projector seems like a better option for outdoors for a variety or reasons. What are you using for sound? 
    Projector would be too much of a hassle. Just use the TV speakers for sound. 90% of the time I'm watching sports on that TV so don't need anything special.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    SonVolt said:

Projector would be too much of a hassle. Just use the TV speakers for sound. 90% of the time I'm watching sports on that TV so don't need anything special.
    I think he assumed that is a projector setup because of the stand. 
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I’m a big fan of the FireTV platform. All of our streaming services in one spot, kicking myself for not getting rid of regular cable/satellite sooner. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Don't forget to figure out your monthly data limit and calculate if you will likely go over that limit. Going over limit leads to hefty overage charges. 

Calculate how many hours you watch TV each day/week and then come with an hours per month number. Multiply that by 3 GB (for 1080P) and then add to your normal monthly usage (on your bill). That will be your monthly data usage.

Calculate 3 GB per hour for 1080P and 16 GB per hour for 4K video. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    there was a good article in the wsj a few months ago where they had people stream multiple videos, music, and stuff, all at once.  even with 6-7 streams going at a time, people used very little bandwidth - like 7-8 mbps

maybe i'll try streaming a few things at once later and checking my google wifi, it'll show how much bandwidth is used
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • speed51133
    Options
    This depends on so many factors. It is like asking if red cars are faster than blue cars.  BUT, in short, streaming typically offers a better picture than a cable company does through their cable programming.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    We cut the cord this week. Currently have YouTubeTV for our live TV needs. Only downside is no NFL Network, but saving over $100 a month from our cable bill I can get past it. 
  • Botch
    Options
    We cut the cord this week. Currently have YouTubeTV for our live TV needs. Only downside is no NFL Network, but saving over $100 a month from our cable bill I can get past it. 
    If you're in an area with OTA reception, you can get an inexpensive antenna and still see most of the games.  

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    I did the same thing before the season started. It sucks not having the Ticket but saving over $1500/yr is worth it. 
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Botch said:
    If you're in an area with OTA reception, you can get an inexpensive antenna and still see most of the games.  
    Thanks @Botch. I get all the local channels plus every fox,ESPN,cbs,nbc sports(just not nfl) so I’ve got the regular games covered. However the Bucs have an NFL network game on Dec 21st which is NFL network and a local off channel that isn’t on this plan. So I do plan on getting a digital antenna if only for this game and if needed in the future. They can take my good morning football and total access, but not my damn game 😁
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options

YouTubeTV app is legit 
  • Botch
    Options
    Botch said:
    Thanks @Botch. I get all the local channels plus every fox,ESPN,cbs,nbc sports(just not nfl) so I’ve got the regular games covered. However the Bucs have an NFL network game on Dec 21st which is NFL network and a local off channel that isn’t on this plan. So I do plan on getting a digital antenna if only for this game and if needed in the future. They can take my good morning football and total access, but not my damn game 😁
    You sound like a fan like my last roommate in Dayton, OH.  He was a YUGE Chicago Bears fan, and this was in '86, '87.  A Bears game wasn't being broadcast locally, so he got in his car and started driving west, aiming at Chicago but eventually finding a broadcast somewhere in Indiana.  He stood, in a TV store in a mall, to watch the entire game.