Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hatch Chiles Relleno

Options
dmourati
dmourati Posts: 1,268
edited September 2019 in EggHead Forum
Like some other forum members, I've been enjoying the Hatch Chile season. I decided to make Hatch Chiles Relleno.

A YouTube search turned up this recipe. I will say, I'm prone to the involved recipes and this one is definitely time consuming. As I finished my final bite this evening, I declared it was worth it. Try it and see for yourself!

The recipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R37gH7-83O8

I started with 5 lbs of Medium Fresh Hatch Green Chile - (Joe Parker) courtesy of the Hatch Green Chile store.  The chiles arrived Thursday looking and smelling straight from the farm.

I charred, peeled, and seeded all the peppers.

I roasted all 5 pounds and set aside 15 or so of the best ones to stuff later (as in tonight)!

Today, I made the sauce with dried chiles (not Hatch), a cheese/cilantro filling, and then a batter to coat the chiles in.

Frying the stuffed chiles was the hardest part.

Like a mini omelette. 

My wife made the green rice.

The recipe calls for sauce on the plate first, then rice, then chiles relleno, then some more sauce on top.

It was damn tasty.

EDIT: Note, the recipe calls for 1 tbsp of salt in the egg mixture, we found that too salty. Try a tsp instead.
Mountain View, CA

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    They look delicious. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    That looks wonderful! Nice work.
    Stillwater, MN
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    Wow, excellent!  That looks like an involved and delicious cook — I usually draw the line at frying things myself, but I might have to move the line haha
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Very nice!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    reminds me when I grew up in mid 50's in Albiquerque Father would bring home a large gunny sack (50 lbs or so) fresh filled from the Hatch field and have a roasting party with lots of friends and cerveza After they were roasted people or chiles too many yearss ago mother would take the fresh peeled chiles stuff with extra sharp cheddar cheese and no batter tosses on a hot cast iron pan to melt the cheese still eat them that way season is here. miss the old days I am 75 and have not been back to NM since the 70's
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Great cook
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    @dmourati, I've been a chile-head since moving to Albuquerque in 1987, but have yet to try relleños myself (they're my usual go-to in a restaurant).  Hats-off to you!  

One hint: you sautèed yours, they're usually deep-fried (that's probably why it was the most difficult step).  

My chiles were fairly meaty/thick-walled this year (wet summer?) so I may have to give these a go myself.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Botch said:
    @dmourati, I've been a chile-head since moving to Albuquerque in 1987, but have yet to try relleños myself (they're my usual go-to in a restaurant).  Hats-off to you!  

One hint: you sautèed yours, they're usually deep-fried (that's probably why it was the most difficult step).  

My chiles were fairly meaty/thick-walled this year (wet summer?) so I may have to give these a go myself.  
    @dmourati and @Botch.....teach me something here. I think of a Chile rellenos as using the Poblano pepper. Is a relleno the use of a pepper and not specific to the type?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Relleno just means stuffed.

Poblanos are more readily available year round and country wide so they are the most common pepper used for Chile Relleno. 
    Mountain View, CA
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Excellent cook, I love the involved recipes, way to go!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.