Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ron’s Gasket and Clean burn.

Options
 Thanks RRP, the gasket went on good, maybe a little to much glue in a couple of spots. Let it set for a day.
Started a fire at 250 and went up a little all afternoon.Got to 450 for an hour or so. The rig and stone were in. Is this good enough for a clean burn?
Pure Michigan
Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    You'll find out when you open it.  Personally I'm not a big fan of clean burns.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Thanks for the tip of the hat!

Like I said in my instruction sheet the Permatex Ultra Copper dries in an hour, but it needs 24 hours to cure. Heat will not speed it along as the cure is a chemical process not heat.

BUT since you have already done your burn you still need the cure!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    When you contemplate a clean burn, please ask yourself if you feel lucky?
    If you do, go ahead with it.
    450 Degrees is not a clean burn temp. A clean burn is accomplished with a good load of lump with all dampers wide open.
    I had a run away temp situation in a egg many years ago that resulted in the table surface under the egg catching fire. The egg was air gaped underneath.
    The run away temp was well over 1000 Degrees.
    For reference, this unintended "Clean Burn" resulted in a cracked base.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Sounds like you’re set with the gasket. If I want to degrease my eggs, I like 550-600 for an extended period (full load of lump, until runs it out, 2-3 hours). And I don’t put stones or a platesetter in to “cap” the heat at gasket level. Excessive heat and returning your egg to a white interior isn’t needed. These are my experiences, and opinions. Others may be offered.