Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which one should I get

Options
I am new to egging and and thinking about getting a PSWoo, Adjustable Rig or the Eggspander system. I like the Rig but I’m not sure about the new stone that come with it. I am getting use the my plate setter so was thinking about the PSWoo Combo so I could use the platesetter that I already have but am not sure how much room I would have in it to put a pan of water when I smoke. Was wondering what everyone on here says and why? Decisions, Decisions lol. Thanks in advance for all the help. Also I hope this is ok because this is my first time posting on here if not please let me know. 

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    Just for the curious, what size is your Egg and what do you want to do with it? That will help the more experienced members answer your question. Welcome on board.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!  There are many here that are very helpful in not only cooking but also spending your money!

I use the R&B combo for most cooks, sliding the stone in and out for direct or indirect.   Occasionally I cook 4-5 pork shoulders at a time and for this I use the spider and stone, there is still enough room for a drip pan and two level cooking. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Welcome aboard. If I didn't have a platesetter I might have gone with the AR, but I did, so I got the PSW and have been very happy with it.
    Stillwater, MN
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!  There are many here that are very helpful in not only cooking but also spending your money!

I use the R&B combo for most cooks, sliding the stone in and out for direct or indirect.   Occasionally I cook 4-5 pork shoulders at a time and for this I use the spider and stone, there is still enough room for a drip pan and two level cooking. 
    +1 What he said. Ultimately, it depends on what and how much you cook most.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    You will have plenty of room with the PSWoo and you do NOT need a pan of water in the Egg when you are smoking. The Egg is not a metal bullet grill with no insulation that needs a big pan of water to stabilize the temps.
    All you need is a drip pan to catch the drippings.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lightningQ
    Options
    i have both and i use both, however the adjustable rig is way better and more versatile.  the oval stone for the AR is great, gives you more indirect realestate but sometimes i use the PS woo which i bought prior to the AR.  Again its preference and both are great setups. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Since I have a platesetter I went with the PSWoo and extender with D-ring.  Can't compare but am quite happy with the above set-up.  And as above, no need for a water pan but an air gapped drip pan for the L&S indirect big protein cooks.
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Rwood
    Rwood Posts: 17
    Options
    I have a LBGE. I also like to cook ribs, chickens, want to try butts and other stuff. I was asking about water in a pan because a guy I work with has one and he said that he puts a pan of water with butter and some apple juice in it under what he smokes, just to keep it moist and he sprays the food with apple juice while cooking 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Not only is it not necessary the water acts as a heat sink. So you adjust your vents accordingly, then at some point the water evaporates and your egg temp will spike. 
      BTW is he eating the water pan!?

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I have said this money times here, because it still holds true - call CGS and talk to Tom. Tell him what you like to cook, and he’ll help you select the right items. 

@tjv is not one to oversell. He knows too many folks here to try and screw someone for a few bucks. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Welcome aboard. If I didn't have a platesetter I might have gone with the AR, but I did, so I got the PSW and have been very happy with it.
    Thats why I bought the PS Woo as well and I bought two half stones.  Have since given away the PS and will likely buy the oval stone also.  My standard cook is to cook at felt with one half stone in to give me a direct indirect cook.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    The cute one with the little brown noise.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Goatsegg
    Goatsegg Posts: 113
    Options
    Get the woo spider combo with the stone it rocks. I use the plate setter but for different reasons.
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE