Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood source around Raleigh NC

Options
Checking to see if anyone living in the area smokes with wood. If so, who would you recommend?

Thanks!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Obviously not from your area but when I was planning for a stick burner arrival, I stopped by a couple of local Q joints and asked where they sourced their wood.  Both were quite willing to give me the name and contact number of their supplier.  I contacted one and the delivery was done.  Since then I have managed to forage the local landscape and the owners to get sticks at my labor and haul expense.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Check Craigslist. You'll find lots of sellers and often find folks that have done some landscaping and offer the wood for free/cheap if you haul it away.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    The tough thing to find is people who are honest about the wood being seasoned. 

I found a reliable source but always buy extra and have next years wood seasoning. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    Wolfpack said:

I found a reliable source but always buy extra and have next years wood seasoning. 
    Would you mind. He king with your source and see if they know of anyone over this way? Thx

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Dawgtired
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
    Wolfpack said:

Would you mind. He king with your source and see if they know of anyone over this way? Thx
    Would you mind checking..... I hate spellcheck 

Ronald Reagan

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I’m in Greensboro- but if still interested will be glad to ask if they go that far. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    There was a saw mill across the street for the fairgrounds in Raleigh. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Call a tree guy and tell them what you are after
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Dawgtired
    Options
    I’ve got a firewood guy I’ve had for years. I think he’d be honest with me...will see.

Ronald Reagan