Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TRex Ribeye 7 years Later How Long to Rest

Options
booksw
booksw Posts: 470
7 years ago, I started this newbie discussion about cooking Ribeye: https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141167/first-attempt-high-heat-ribeyes#latest

I said 7 years ago that maybe I should never make ribeye again, because it can never turn out as good as it did that first time.  Well I have made rib eye again, many times, and it is ALWAYS jaw dropping good.

This morning I picked up 2 Prime boneless ribeye steaks from Harris Teeter.  Naked Whiz says ideal thickness is 1.75”- these are about 1.9”.  He also says the ideal rest is 20 minutes- this is what I am debating right now.

We have friends coming over for dinner at 7. They are members of some great wineries and they said they will bring the wine- I am guessing from past experience that they are bringing over a couple of cabs.

When they arrive, I want most of the work of dinner to done, and our kitchen/dinning room/deck/patio to be a peaceful space.  So I will sear the steaks before they arrive, have appetizers with them, and then put the steaks back on for the rest of the (more peaceful) cook...?

Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs

Comments

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan.  After the initial sear I’ve even finished in the indoor oven to avoid dashing in and out, checking on the steaks.  Good luck - should be a fun evening.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Sous vide available? Cook at just below desired finish temp for an hour or two, let 'em stay in the bath til time to eat, then sear. No repeated in and out, searing will take just a couple of minutes. Good luck.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I don't think the difference in thickness from 1.5 to 1.9 will really make a difference in the rest time for this technique. I think 20 minute rest will be plenty of time to stop the cooking process.  It will just take a little longer during the lower temp roast phase to hit your target temp. 

My reasoning is: after the sear only 3-4 mm of the steak is cooked. You let it rest to stop the cooking process. It doesn't really matter how thick the steak is, you just need enough time for that outer portion of seared meat to cool down. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I'd light the egg early and prep the steaks before the guest's arrive. Just play it by feel. I wouldn't want to rush the guests to eat within 20 minutes of them showing up. Enjoy the company and toss on the steak when you find a break. Plus is serving appetizers you might not want to eat right after. Steaks won't take more than 30 minutes including the 20 minute rest period. Just my thought anyway.

If I was a guess I'd like to watch steaks get thrown on a blazing fire. Especially if out of the deck/patio already. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • booksw
    Options
    As usual, I am over thinking this...  
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    booksw said:
    As usual, I am over thinking this...  
    As usual.....no invite extended?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    oh, heck yeah!  how did they turn out, and what did you end up doing? underthinking it is fine, as long as you don't overcook them!  boy they're looking tasty.  and what wine did you drink?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Your steaks, your tastes rule - I woulda been after a harder sear.  Want to hear about the wines, too!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • booksw
    Options
    The wine was called Tapestry and it was from a winery in California called CHateau Boswell- perfect pairing!!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs