Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermoworks Chefalarm

Options
Been in the market for a new temp monitoring solution since my Maverick took a crap and will not let me program it anymore.  I've read some of the Chefalarm and the Smoke from Thermoworks.  I have never used either so I am coming here to get advice on which is more preferred.  Thank you for any and all input.

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Both work great as do every Thermowork product I've used but there are some differences. With the Chefalarm, you don't have a receiver, so you can't walk away from your Egg and still monitor it. The Chefalarm I mainly use in the kitchen as we have an open floor plan and I can hear it from the living room. So its fine for cooking in the oven or when I'm brewing beer on my stove. The Smoke only gets used on the Egg so I monitor what's going on when I'm inside.

They do have a new product called Signals and Billows that allows you to actually control the temperature of your Egg as well if you want to go down that route.

To me, for cooking on the Egg and comparing something to the Maverick, you are looking more towards the SMOKE and it is light years above the Maverick (which I owned ages and ages ago)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• JethroBodeen
    Options
    Never used the chef alarm. I have used Mavericks many years ago. I have used both the Dot and the Smoke from TW. The Smoke is quite a bit better than the Maverick IMO. The range on the Smoke is WAY better. The accuracy is also better.
  • Hoops10
    Hoops10 Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I currently use a FB 400 to maintain temps on my Egg, although I've only used in a couple of times so still getting used to it myself. It seems like the Smoke is loaded with features, but it a lot more expensive than the Chefalarm.
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    Hoops10 said:
    Thanks for the input. I currently use a FB 400 to maintain temps on my Egg, although I've only used in a couple of times so still getting used to it myself. It seems like the Smoke is loaded with features, but it a lot more expensive than the Chefalarm.

I'm sure the extra costs comes with the convenience of having a remote reading in the house while your cooking outside. If you want something really simple take a look at the Dot with bluetooth. Works great also inexpensive. One probe at a time though...
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,349
    Options
    I'm a big fan of my Smoke. I too upgraded from the Maverick
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I upgraded from Maverick to Smoke also. Smoke is an excellent product and far superior to Maverick, IMHO.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Hoops10
    Options
    Does the Smoke ever go on sale? I've only ever seen it at the normal, retail price.  Thanks.
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    Hoops10 said:
    Does the Smoke ever go on sale? I've only ever seen it at the normal, retail price.  Thanks.
    Yes, it goes on sale from time to time. Be patient and get on their email list. They sent me an extra 10% coupon that is even good on sale items. I'll post up the sale as many others will, if I see it.
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    i vote for fireboard https://www.fireboard.com/
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Hoops10
    Options
    Thanks, I am on the email list already. I got the email for the open box Chefalarm that is very tempting but I really want the Smoke.
  • BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Haven't used the chef alarm or smoke but I picked up Signals recently and really like it. I was upgrading from an iGrill which worked fine but had no wifi that I need so it can reach from my bedroom to the smoker in overnight cooks. Signals offers 2 more probes and the ability to add billows down the road if you want to. Also smoke doesn't have wifi without the extra add-on while signals does. Definitely worth the extra cash imo.

I used the email coupon on top of a signals sale a few weeks ago which basically got me the signals and billows for the price of the signals so wait on the coupon for sure. Also don't forget the adapter plate for the egg when you order if you get billows.