Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighter cubes

Options
Are the Webber grill starter cubes okay to use with the egg

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Rutland Safe-Lite starter cubes are considerably cheaper and I believe are the ones BGE sells with their name. They look, smell and perform the same anyway. $14.99 for 144 cubes at Tractor Supply or $17.98 at Amazon.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• onpoint456
    onpoint456 Posts: 204
    Options
    FWIW, I recently ran out of bge starters and read on here of someone using a paper towel soaked in vegetable oil. I have been doing this for the past 3 weeks and don't see any reason to stop.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    I took a paper towel, dumped a tablespoon of sawdust (from my table saw), rolled it up and tied with butcher twine.  Poured some denatured alcohol on it, and lit.  Darn thing burns for at least 15 minutes, and really gets the lump going.  I also used it under a charcoal chimney, which worked just as good.  Won’t be buying those expensive cubes anymore!
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Are the Webber grill starter cubes okay to use with the egg

Been using these after my initial BGE brand ones and haven’t looked back. 24 for 3.99 isn’t bad at all