Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bull Market!!!

Wow the Dow is over twenty five thousand!  Wow!  Just a few weeks ago it was only two thousand!  Two to twenty is a big change!  It’s like if someone gave you two pennies one day and the next day those two was worth a hole dollar!

I don know why they call this a bull market though.  Are a lot of those sold when the stocks go up a lot?  Maybe I’ll try an smoke a hole bull!

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    You better save some of dat bull for leaner times. I would just do a hind end.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    You will give yourself a heart attack watching the market these days. Unless you sold today you haven't lost anything so sit back, relax and poor a drink.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    You will give yourself a heart attack watching the market these days. Unless you sold today you haven't lost anything so sit back, relax and poor a drink.
    Freudian slip?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • BugFreak72
    LOL oops. Guess I've had enough tonight. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Wow the Dow is over twenty five thousand!  Wow!  Just a few weeks ago it was only two thousand!  Two to twenty is a big change!
    I'm confused by your statement.  A few weeks ago, the Dow was over 27,000 so it has gone way down (and today was even worse).
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Shiff said:
    Wow the Dow is over twenty five thousand!  Wow!  Just a few weeks ago it was only two thousand!  Two to twenty is a big change!
    I'm confused by your statement.  A few weeks ago, the Dow was over 27,000 so it has gone way down (and today was even worse).
    I think there was some sarcasm in that post regarding someone.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • This post was made to be funny (and sarcastic), as yes the Dow set a new record a week ago.  It took a big drop Monday, recovered some ground Tuesday, then tanked 803 points today.  So now we move from a bullish market to a bear market, which some say points to a recession.  Too many politics are driving the market nowadays!
  • BugFreak72
    Actually we are far from a bear market. I agree on the politics driving the market though. I doubt we agree on what politics considering you point that out though.
  • Politicians will tank the market then buy low. Simple.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    Politicians will tank the market then buy low. Simple.
    I've read that theory, regarding just one politician, twice today.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• I haven’t heard or read the rumor but the stock market has been a roller coaster for about 3 years now and I know there are people cashing in. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• BugFreak72
    Yea, every person in a good investment portfolio. I guess that is a problem?
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    edited August 2019
    Everyone always talks about the stock market, yet very few ever mention the precious metals market.  Those of us that have invested in precious metals, have no problem at all with the stock market going down.  To the contrary, our investment soars when stocks go down.  It's kind of like betting the "don't pass" line at the craps table.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I have been a believer and investor in the stock market since 1966. Back then I was squirreling away the modest amount that I could set aside typically meaning I could only buy 5 or 10 shares of "whatever" at a time each month. The point was building a diverese portfolio. Early on I believed in the wisdom of buying for the long haul and not sh*t my pants when the brutal dips occur. As was said earlier unless you sold your stocks in the last few days or weeks then just take a deep breath and calm down.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dictionary
    troll1
    /trōl/

noun
    1. a mythical, cave-dwelling being depicted in folklore as either a giant or a dwarf, typically having a very ugly appearance.

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Legume said:

Stop trying to make this stock market discussion on a bbq forum about trolls.
    My bad.  
  • In May, Buffett asked his audience to compare the returns made by investing $10,000 in gold in 1942 vs. investing that same amount in an S&P 500® Index fund.1He then revealed that the S&P 500 investment would be worth $51 million today compared with roughly $400,000 for gold. This comparison, with no additional insight, would cause almost any investor to question a gold investment. After all, using Buffett’s numbers, we’re talking about a 12.06% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for stocks vs. a 5.04% CAGR for gold, which results in what looks like a lost investment opportunity worth millions of dollars over 76 years.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Hub
    In May, Buffett asked his audience to compare the returns made by investing $10,000 in gold in 1942 vs. investing that same amount in an S&P 500® Index fund.1He then revealed that the S&P 500 investment would be worth $51 million today compared with roughly $400,000 for gold. This comparison, with no additional insight, would cause almost any investor to question a gold investment. After all, using Buffett’s numbers, we’re talking about a 12.06% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for stocks vs. a 5.04% CAGR for gold, which results in what looks like a lost investment opportunity worth millions of dollars over 76 years.
    I don't disagree one bit.  However, that is a very broad, macro comparison.  If instead, an investor only buys gold/silver at a historically low price, and only sells at a historically high price, those numbers change drastically.  Timing and choices make a HUGE difference.
  • BugFreak72
    And 99% of investors can't time any market worth a ****. To say someone could invest in metals and make money over any other investments is just as general a statement. Way too many variables. Timing ANY market is near impossible and a fools errand. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited August 2019
    Hub said:
    Everyone always talks about the stock market, yet very few ever mention the precious metals market.  Those of us that have invested in precious metals, have no problem at all with the stock market going down.  To the contrary, our investment soars when stocks go down.  It's kind of like betting the "don't pass" line at the craps table.
    I believe it was a year ago today when palladium dropped like 6% in a day down to $850.  I was out of town otherwise I would have bought a bunch of it.  By the time I got back it was up in the 900's again, so I just bought a little.  I think it was over $1600 at one point back in May.  Platinum still hasn't come back.

I don't think we'll ever see $45 silver or $1800 gold again, unless the dealers can get a panic buy going again.......but both are up about about 15% over the last 3 months.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    And 99% of investors can't time any market worth a ****. To say someone could invest in metals and make money over any other investments is just as general a statement. Way too many variables. Timing ANY market is near impossible and a fools errand. 
    +10000 agree 

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    This. Actually, 100% of investors. But a few get lucky 😊

If the argument is that a diversified portfolio leads to lower risk and one option is precious metals (which historically have exhibited lower volatility), I’d be buying what you’re selling. 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    In May, Buffett asked his audience to compare the returns made by investing $10,000 in gold in 1942 vs. investing that same amount in an S&P 500® Index fund.1He then revealed that the S&P 500 investment would be worth $51 million today compared with roughly $400,000 for gold. This comparison, with no additional insight, would cause almost any investor to question a gold investment. After all, using Buffett’s numbers, we’re talking about a 12.06% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for stocks vs. a 5.04% CAGR for gold, which results in what looks like a lost investment opportunity worth millions of dollars over 76 years.
    How long was the price of gold set at $35/oz? Decades?
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Hub
    I didn't mean to turn this thread into a precious metals vs market debate.  I'm simply pointing out the correlation.  When one is up, the other is down.  And you boys can shake your finger all you want .. I've made a ton of money in the precious metals market.  I'm sure many of you have done the same in the stock market.  Like I said .. it's the pass line vs the don't pass line.
  • Had a person bought Bitcoin in 2010 it was .06 cents for one Bitcoin. Today it was over 10,000. It’s been over 19,000 few years ago. Talk about a sweet return. 
  • That is a lot of cents 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.