Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Three-Recipe Wangs

BotchBotch Posts: 8,408
I've been experimenting with cheekun this season a lot more than I usually do.  This weekend I decided to try three of my favorite techniques:
1.  Buttermilk-soaked cheekun,
2.  Grill-frying, and
3.  Tossing wings in different sauces.  
I soaked a package of wings in seasoned buttermilk overnight as I had a couple weeks ago, but then instead of patting them dry, rolled them in 1/2 flour, 1/2 panko, and let them "glue" in the frig for two hours on a wire rack.  Grilled em halfway done, painted with canola, and finished cooking.  
Then, I dividing the wangs into 3 piles.  First one, I left plain.  Second pile, tossed in 50% melted butter/50% Texas Pete's (got it on sale for $0.38 a small bottle at the Commissary, eh); and for the third pile, found a bottle of Peri-Peri sauce in the cupboard, it was Expired but still unopened so I took a chance and doused the third pile.  

Fun experiment!  I'll be saucing my wangs from now on, messy but sure tasted better than the plain.  The buffalo-style were just a bit too hot, I kinda expected that as the buttermilk recipe had plenty of heat mixed in already.  The Peri-Peri wangs were fantastic!  I'll need to pick up another, fresher bottle next time I'm at the Commissary (even if Texas Pete is still on sale!   =) ).  

No pics, I did burn the bottom of the wings (raised indirect), must've not let the Egg come up to temp enough (or is 400 too high for wangs?).  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  

Comments

• SmokeyLopeySmokeyLopey Posts: 220
    I've been cooking mine at 350, indirect, for 40mins. Forty five mins will cause some charring!
  • alaskanassasinalaskanassasin Posts: 2,012
    Sounds great @Botch i would have ate the hot ones for ya!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.
  • mahenryakmahenryak Posts: 1,320
    edited August 11
    Yikes!  I almost forgot that I have some chicken thighs that I intend to soak overnight in buttermilk and rub.  Thanks for the reminder.  :) Oh, and cool experiment.! As far as the 400 raised indirect temp, goes, I tend to get a little nervous when mine gets over 375 for the reason you mention.  I think it must vary from egg to egg, or maybe thermometers, because some don't seem to flinch with 400 on this site.  Also, probably a factor of how much of a sugar-base rub you may be using, I suppose.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore