Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Commercial Rubs How much do you pay

Options
2»

Comments

• b0atnutz
    b0atnutz Posts: 34
    Options
    Do you have a Paypal for shipping fees would love to give it a whirl . Jerry
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    b0atnutz said:
    Do you have a Paypal for shipping fees would love to give it a whirl . Jerry
    Once we pick up the 6 cases I will have my wife set it up.  I think it will be sent usps so I’m guessing $5 in their box. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Options
    I’m in for a bottle!  Just let me know the cost!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    ryantt said:
    @blind99 while I’d love to sell you a bottle, I’ll make you and any egghead who wants it, you pay shipping and we will send you a bottle.  
    Consider it done, thanks!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    ryantt said:
    @Nature Boy thanks for all of your help and support.  We have zero intentions of selling rubs, I can’t imagine the headache that would be.  I was trying to say that I know if the average price for a bottle of rub is $12, there isn’t much meat on the bone for companies.  Dizzy Pig uses top quality fresh ingredients, has a team dedicated to mixing and bottling the product, not much money in a bottle of rub.

We were lucky enough to find a guy who is really doing this at zero margin, just because he knows we’re giving it away and like the idea of her doing it.  Yes I have to pay for labels and the ingredients but other than that nothing. No surcharges or fees. He’s also close enough we can pick up 6 cases at a time and give them away.   I’d be happy to share with you some of the other things we’ve tried or ship you a bottle once we get our cases.  You’re a man that won’t pull any punches so you can tell me if we’re on to something.  People are willing to pay her to cook at events now and always want her seasoning mix so why not try to build a following of loyal “fans” and spread the bbq love.  
    What happened to zero intentions of selling rub?  Gives me pause. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a little capitalism. Norah will need tuition sometime in the future. Making a living doing what you love is an improvement for 95% of people.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    ryantt said:
    @Nature Boy thanks for all of your help and support.  We have zero intentions of selling rubs, I can’t imagine the headache that would be.  I was trying to say that I know if the average price for a bottle of rub is $12, there isn’t much meat on the bone for companies.  Dizzy Pig uses top quality fresh ingredients, has a team dedicated to mixing and bottling the product, not much money in a bottle of rub.

We were lucky enough to find a guy who is really doing this at zero margin, just because he knows we’re giving it away and like the idea of her doing it.  Yes I have to pay for labels and the ingredients but other than that nothing. No surcharges or fees. He’s also close enough we can pick up 6 cases at a time and give them away.   I’d be happy to share with you some of the other things we’ve tried or ship you a bottle once we get our cases.  You’re a man that won’t pull any punches so you can tell me if we’re on to something.  People are willing to pay her to cook at events now and always want her seasoning mix so why not try to build a following of loyal “fans” and spread the bbq love.  
    My understanding is he’s giving away the rubs, recipients pay shipping. 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    ryantt said:

My understanding is he’s giving away the rubs, recipients pay shipping. 
    True I was just saying that they could grow into selling it.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Ok. Not what @ryantt led me to believe. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • ryantt
    Options
    @bgebrent rub will be free to all, I’m just guessing at the shipping price.  I think the post office has that $5 box, but not sure.  It may be cheaper, just guessing at the $ to send it. 

• ryantt
    Options
    Ok for those of you that are interested the rub is going to be made soon.  I was put at the bottom of the list bc well it’s being done for free. He suggested I do sample packs so he’s working up some packs for me.  This would let me to ship them out to eggheads to try for around 70 cents.  That’s not to bad.   If people like it and want a bottle my wife checked with the post office and it’s 7.95 for a box to ship it in...flat rate thing.  We are going to have them price it in an padded envelope and see if it is cheaper.  

We are are super excited about this project and the support shown here to my little chef.  Time passes so quickly before long she’ll be driving and after that college!!! It’s scary bc it means I’m getting old

• zahulio
    zahulio Posts: 135
    Options
    Count me in to try out a sample pack!!!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If you have no intention of ever selling it, why not save everyone the shipping cost and you the hassle - and just give us the recipe? =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    If you have no intention of ever selling it, why not save everyone the shipping cost and you the hassle - and just give us the recipe? =)
    Q makes a valid point... 
  • ryantt
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I did post it on here...but here it is again. 

1 part of each of the following: season salt, Turbinado sugar, black pepper (16 mesh) 
    1/2 part smoked paprika
    1/4 part granulated garlic & granulated onion 
    1/8 part ancho chili powder, Worcestershire powder
    1/16 part Mono sodium glutamate, dry mustard this is about 1tbs each 

when we make it up for comps or classes we teach, we use a 1cup measure.  

Also at times we will decrease or remove 1/2 the sugar and use 1/8 the amount of maple powder or honey powder.  Just depends on what we are doing. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't know how I missed that you posted that! My apologies! Most of these are common spices that most must surely have on hand. Except the Worcestershire powder - never heard of that one!  

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ryantt
    Options
    @Carolina Q  readily available on Amazon or soupbase.com