Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Walmart Royal Oak

Options
Local Walmart Neighborhood Mkt. has had 15 lb bags for $5 the last couple of weeks.  Couldn't pass up a few bags
LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Good for those who employ clean burns. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    RRP said:
    logchief said:
    Local Walmart Neighborhood Mkt. has had 15 lb bags for $5 the last couple of weeks.  Couldn't pass up a few bags
    That was a great price! I would have bought all they had! 

PS - not all of us here are "lump charcoal snobs"
    Works fine for me, I'll take the bargain and not worry about a clean burn.  Living in Sandy Springs, guess you can afford whatever you want, was a sleepy little town when I left there in 1961.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • builderdawg
    Options
    logchief said:
    Great deal.  I’ve generally had good results with Royal Oak.
  • WildmanWilson
    Options
    I've read that Royal Oak is the same thing as the Green Eggs brand. Not sure if that's true or not.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Good for those who employ clean burns. 
    Good for the fire pit. 
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 383
    Options
    I checked today, no sale on the regular but they had the XL stuff for $11, 5 bucks off, I've been wanting to try it so I picked up a couple of bags. Up here its Royal Oak or Cowboy, I'll take the Royal Oak.
  • FSUMark
    FSUMark Posts: 35
    Options
    New to egging, picked up a bag at Walmart for convenience ~1 month ago and I was really happy with it. Big chunks, burned slow, good flavor 
  • PeteG
    PeteG Posts: 14
    Options
    Dunno what’s going, on but lately all the Royal Oak in Chicago seems to be mostly chips and dust
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited August 2019
    Options
    More than likely your bags were damaged in transit or from some gorilla-stock boys who played bean bag toss games. I always grab each bag and give it a hearty shake. If the bag is full of tiny pieces it will give a resounding dull falling sound plus make you lose your grip. OTOH a nice full bag will feel full and have a pronounced clinking sound.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.