Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Short Chicago Trip

Options
Looking for advice from the grand wisdom of the forum.  We've got a wedding in Chicago next month and are trying to do a bit of planning.  Neither of us have been to Chi-Town before, looking for recommendations on a hotel and a few restaurants.  What are your absolute favorites if you only had one breakfast, lunch, and supper in town. Ready...Go
Lakeville, MN

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I like the Shedd Aquarium. I think they frown on eating the fish there.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    Go to the Purple Pig.

The next day, if you’ve had a few drinks and feel like a solid hangover cure, hit the Billy Goat Tavern on Michigan Ave for a double cheeseburger and couple brewskis. I’m sure there’s better spots, but there’s something about shaking off a hangover in an old Belushi spot that just feels right. 
  • BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I don't know your budget but lets start with hotels... Crazy expensive, from $375 a night at the JW Marriot to $150 at the Courtyard.... You might want to consider staying outside of Chicago, say Schaumberg or maybe Elmhurst, again, not sure how many nights you are here but the price of an uber might make up for the high hotel costs...

As far as food.....

Lunch... A must stop is Manny's Deli, it's a Chicago institution : https://www.mannysdeli.com/

Dinner is nice at The Girl and the Goat, Stephanie Izard is a well known Chicago chef; https://girlandthegoat.com/

Did you say mexican? Gotta see my friend Rick Bayless at Frontera; https://www.rickbayless.com/

My wife's relatives own this place, and it's some of the finest Greek food in Chicago: http://www.athenarestaurantchicago.com/

Oh, I forgot breakfast, a quick hop on the El will get you to Ann Sather, the best place for pastries and eggs http://www.annsather.com/

And finally, you have to eat at Portillio's I'll help you with the language, step up and order a "beef, hot, dipped" = Italian beef, dipped in au jus with hot giardiniera mix....https://www.portillos.com/index.html

Little know fact about a Chicagoan.... most of us actually don't like deep dish pizza, it's for tourists - also it's not called the windy city because of the wind, way back when it was because of the politicians  "hot air" that were so corrupt, like this story today https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/criminal-justice/ct-state-senator-indicted-embezzle-20190802-376yvfd56ffbngxgpvtp4ykhmy-story.html

And finally, and take this seriously... DO NOT go past 1300 south (Roosevelt Street) and DO NOT go past 2400 west (California Street) on foot... these are not areas to wander....

Enjoy.. we have actually had some great weather!!

Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Do the architectural boat tour. Trust me.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    YESS!!!!!! I 100% agree!!!!
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Always have a good time at Hugo's frog bar. A hot dog and a mai tai at Portillos is a must. The Talbott is also a nice hotel close to everything
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Wow, didn't expect Elmhurst to come up in this thread. I grew up there and lived on the north side before moving to CA.

I'd stay in the north loop. I'd head over to greek town for Gyros. I'd eat pizza. I'd eat an italian beef. 

****, now I want to go back to Chicago
    Mountain View, CA
  • BGEChicago
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @dmourati Hey good to hear.. I'm at South Street and Arlington! Getting pretty expensive around here!
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    And if you have time and the Cubs are in town .......
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    YESS!!!!!! I 100% agree!!!!
    The ones run by the Architectural Society are way better than the private companies. The docents give terrific tours.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Daddyshack
    Daddyshack Posts: 179
    Options
    I don't know your budget but lets start with hotels... Crazy expensive, from $375 a night at the JW Marriot to $150 at the Courtyard.... You might want to consider staying outside of Chicago, say Schaumberg or maybe Elmhurst, again, not sure how many nights you are here but the price of an uber might make up for the high hotel costs...

As far as food.....

Lunch... A must stop is Manny's Deli, it's a Chicago institution : https://www.mannysdeli.com/

Dinner is nice at The Girl and the Goat, Stephanie Izard is a well known Chicago chef; https://girlandthegoat.com/

Did you say mexican? Gotta see my friend Rick Bayless at Frontera; https://www.rickbayless.com/

My wife's relatives own this place, and it's some of the finest Greek food in Chicago: http://www.athenarestaurantchicago.com/

Oh, I forgot breakfast, a quick hop on the El will get you to Ann Sather, the best place for pastries and eggs http://www.annsather.com/

And finally, you have to eat at Portillio's I'll help you with the language, step up and order a "beef, hot, dipped" = Italian beef, dipped in au jus with hot giardiniera mix....https://www.portillos.com/index.html

Little know fact about a Chicagoan.... most of us actually don't like deep dish pizza, it's for tourists - also it's not called the windy city because of the wind, way back when it was because of the politicians  "hot air" that were so corrupt, like this story today https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/criminal-justice/ct-state-senator-indicted-embezzle-20190802-376yvfd56ffbngxgpvtp4ykhmy-story.html

And finally, and take this seriously... DO NOT go past 1300 south (Roosevelt Street) and DO NOT go past 2400 west (California Street) on foot... these are not areas to wander....

Enjoy.. we have actually had some great weather!!

Agreed - Girl and goat amazing.  We go for breakfast 
    We like au cheval as well for breakfast
    one or our fave dive bars is Rossi’s 
    donut vault is great for a donut and coffee if you’re walking around in the morning.   
    If you’ve never been to an Eataly before it’s worth seeing (and nibbling)
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Purple pig for dinner 
    Field museum
    Architectural boat tour
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options

And finally, you have to eat at Portillio's I'll help you with the language, step up and order a "beef, hot, dipped" = Italian beef, dipped in au jus with hot giardiniera mix....https://www.portillos.com

When I went Portillos I got the hot dog, next time I’ll go with the beef.  I do recommend for a good hot dog is Super Dawg

not sure if Perry’s Deli is still open food portions were ridiculous and it had a Seinfeld Soup Nazi vibe
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    Ugh... Perry's, sadly it's closed... Loved watching people getting "air horned" for talking on their cell phone!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Where is the wedding? And how fancy or casual do you want to go? There’s lots of great stuff here. Any specific cuisine you want, or want to avoid?

the loop can get pretty dead on the weekend. But field museum, shedd aquarium, Adler planetarium and art institute are always busy. Millennium park is a nice walk. The boat tours start around there too. North of there, River north, mag mile, Gold Coast will all be busy with lots of shopping and eating. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    This is a great hotel. This is where we used to stay before my parents bought a place just a block east. 
    https://www.chicagoraffaello.com/
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Spillin
    Spillin Posts: 75
    Options
    I know that Chicago isn't known for BBQ but Green St Smoked Meats is really solid.  Down the street from Au Chavel and Girl and the Goat.  Also +1 on Portillos and the Architecture tour. If you want a cocktail with one hell of a view go to the Signature Lounge.  It's on the 98th Floor of the Hancock Bldg.
    LG BGE
    36" Blackstone
    Weber Genisis
    Cold IPA on tap!
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    Art Institute, Shedd Aquarium, consider neighborhood tours through Cultural Center. 
    IL 
  • saluki2007
    Options
    Spillin said:
    I know that Chicago isn't known for BBQ but Green St Smoked Meats is really solid.  Down the street from Au Chavel and Girl and the Goat.  Also +1 on Portillos and the Architecture tour. If you want a cocktail with one hell of a view go to the Signature Lounge.  It's on the 98th Floor of the Hancock Bldg.
    Agree on this. Just went there Thursday night for dinner. Ribs and brisket were on point. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    Architectural tour, the bean (millennium park )
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• teamunited33
    Options
    And if you have time and the Cubs are in town .......
    I'm originally from Wisconsin, so .... the cubs. haha, they're actually playing in Milwaukee that weekend.
    Lakeville, MN
  • teamunited33
    teamunited33 Posts: 70
    edited August 2019
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Where is the wedding? And how fancy or casual do you want to go? There’s lots of great stuff here. Any specific cuisine you want, or want to avoid?

the loop can get pretty dead on the weekend. But field museum, shedd aquarium, Adler planetarium and art institute are always busy. Millennium park is a nice walk. The boat tours start around there too. North of there, River north, mag mile, Gold Coast will all be busy with lots of shopping and eating. 
    The wedding is in Hyde Park.  We're prepared to stay downtown and uber/lyft to the wedding on Sunday.

We're a bit more on the casual side, gastropubs/elevated bar food is our jam.  Fine dining is a bit outside of our comfort zones.
    Lakeville, MN
  • Spillin
    Spillin Posts: 75
    Options
    The purple pig will be right up your alley.  Also take the L or an uber to Wrigleyville. Doesn't matter if the Cubs are in town or not.  Great area with a ton of cool bars and restaurants.  I grew up in that neighborhood, Won't disappoint.
    LG BGE
    36" Blackstone
    Weber Genisis
    Cold IPA on tap!
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    blind99 said:

The wedding is in Hyde Park.  We're prepared to stay downtown and uber/lyft to the wedding on Sunday.

We're a bit more on the casual side, gastropubs/elevated bar food is our jam.  Fine dining is a bit outside of our comfort zones.
    Take a look at The Gage on Michigan Ave.
    https://thegagechicago.com/
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Well you've got tons of great recs here.  pick a neighborhood or two, map it out and see what you have for time.  Make reservations now - dinner fills up weeks in advance. You can always cancel if you change plans or find something better!  

Sunday wedding, coming in Friday?  Man I could make a weekend of that!
    Friday evening dinner at the Gage - right on Michigan ave, casual, good, great scotch / bourbon choices too.  walk millenium park.

sat breakfast? some of my faves downtown are Wishbone (southernish and always good quality) and Lou Mitchells (traditional diner, god it's good)

lunchtime - walk armitage west of halsted.  santa monica summer house for lunch.  or the place next door has nice pizza and beer, cant remember the name. ice cream at jenni's splendid.  lincoln park zoo is nearby, and free.  or stay till evening and have dinner at mon ami gabi.

also dinner -   it's a little fancier seeming than you might want, but le colonial is the bees knees. new location on oak street is really nice. the food is really light and fresh. i could order the entire menu.  (@caliking have you been there?  if not we need to meet there sometime)

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • saluki2007
    Options
    To eat you can't go wrong with the west loop. They have all kinds of food at every level of dining. Never had a bad experience there. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• saluki2007
    Options
    Also look at Jack Melniks and Timmothy O'Tools for bar food. A cool bar to check out late at night is Streeter's.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• caliking
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Well you've got tons of great recs here.  pick a neighborhood or two, map it out and see what you have for time.  Make reservations now - dinner fills up weeks in advance. You can always cancel if you change plans or find something better!  

Sunday wedding, coming in Friday?  Man I could make a weekend of that!
    Friday evening dinner at the Gage - right on Michigan ave, casual, good, great scotch / bourbon choices too.  walk millenium park.

sat breakfast? some of my faves downtown are Wishbone (southernish and always good quality) and Lou Mitchells (traditional diner, god it's good)

lunchtime - walk armitage west of halsted.  santa monica summer house for lunch.  or the place next door has nice pizza and beer, cant remember the name. ice cream at jenni's splendid.  lincoln park zoo is nearby, and free.  or stay till evening and have dinner at mon ami gabi.

also dinner -   it's a little fancier seeming than you might want, but le colonial is the bees knees. new location on oak street is really nice. the food is really light and fresh. i could order the entire menu.  (@caliking have you been there?  if not we need to meet there sometime)

Yes I have.  Loved Le Colonial back in the day. Good to know they’re still around. 

I may be in Chicago in October, so don’t be surprised if I bug you later :)

• caliking
    Options
    Also look at Jack Melniks and Timmothy O'Tools for bar food. A cool bar to check out late at night is Streeter's.
    Little known fact - Tim O’Toole’s had a very impressive scotch selection for what seems like a regular ol’ bar in   Streeterville.

And we used to be regulars at Streeter’s. We’d get free shots there as soon as we walked in the door. But I think everyone else did too. 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Pequods, Arturo’s and Fountainhead for drinks.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio