Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

STORAGE OF VARIOUS TYPES OF SMOKING WOOD

Options
Our company has purchased a tree removal and maintenance company.  So i will have access to all of the various types of wood in the area.  Because of a neighbor's outdoor cat, i cannot store the wood outdoors, nor in my garage uncovered because i don't want to take the chance of the cat wandering in and doing its business on the wood.  i was thinking about storing the chunks in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid.  Do i need to ventilate?  If so, how many holes for a 5 gallon bucket? Any other suggestions?  Thanks.

South Buffalo, New York

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    One of these with the top fenced over 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    You need to ventilate it or it's going to get moldy.  Even in a bucket with holes it could get mold.  Seasoned hardwoods are 15-20%, but anything you take across county lines (at least in Missouri), it's supposed to be kilned to kill the bugs (ours is under 8% when it comes out, then will come up to 10% or so)......and that usually allows you to store it without fear of mold.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Talk w @Sea2Ski. He can talk about building an underground wood storage bunker.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    For what it's worth - we store all of our post oak for the restaurants outdoors, uncovered and simply stacked on pallets with all sorts of random animals wandering about. Never had an issue with cats doing their business on the wood and there are plenty wandering around
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    They definitely need air circulation. I use a milk crate. If you can't find a 7-11 that'll give you a couple, Amazon sells 'em. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    You might consider a cat relocation program.

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I store mine in burlap sacks in my garage next to my lump. No issues.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I think I'm going to go the milk crate way. The cat ruined all my apple wood that I stored outside, therefore I'm not taking any chances this time around. Have a great weekend.
    South Buffalo, New York
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    I have mine in a deck box from Homeless Despot. Keeps it dry, and has enough air flow to not have issues. I also keep some of the charcoal in the same box, along with some of the items for my egg. I'll probably get another (same one) to use for just charcoal in the next few weeks. Since my gas grill is gone, I have more available deck space. :)
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    thetrim said:
    With his eyes closed. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    thetrim said:
    With his eyes closed. 
    He can talk with his eyes closed? 

;) 
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    I'd get rid of the cat
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    thetrim said:
    With his eyes closed. 
    He can talk with his eyes closed? 

;) 

I can type with my eyes closed as well, and I get half the letters correct. While I think of myself as multitalented, that is where it ends.

I am still trying to find the beginners section to this forum (where I belong).  I do have my eyes open while I do that but I have not found it yet.....
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    @stlcharcoal and others Serious question.  I have some oak and maple that's prolly going on 4-5 years old. Nice and dry in a cardboard box in the garage.  Still good? Or does time diminish the quality?  No bugs, no rot, no mold, just dry wood chunks. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius.