Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Zucchini

Options
Hey Everyone - Looking for a good technique for grilling zucchini last time I sliced them lengthwise into about 4 pieces. It came out ok but a little watery still. Grill was pretty hot and probably did a few minutes per side direct.

Anyone else have a better idea? I don't have a basket or anything like that so I will be going just straight onto the grate. Thanks in advance!
MED - Manhattan

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Why not try cutting into discs 1/4" thick and brush with olive oil and then onto grate.. Direct and just flip once or twice.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I cut lengthwise, sometimes in halves other times quartered like you did depending on size of that batch.  I brush them with olive oil then salt/pepper/garlic/rub (depending on what they are going with I switch up seasonings).  

For the cook I just grill direct and use a bend test and really just go off look and feel for when they are done (not very long).  One thing is you want to make them last and serve ASAP or else they tend to mush up a bit.  
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Try presalting to remove excess liquid.  I do that with eggplant too

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • slick_rick
    slick_rick Posts: 55
    Options
    Thanks Friends - Sounds like I was close. I will try to presalt and go at the last possible second tonight. 

Thanks!
    MED - Manhattan
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Italian salad dressing, as a marinade, can kick it up a notch.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    With that Zucchini, I would just shoot for medium to medium rare. Spice well and you have a winner.

Options
    Pre salt on a cooling rack.  I cut them length wise like you did.  Pat them dry then olive oil and pepper.  Grill hot.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • slick_rick
    slick_rick Posts: 55
    Options
    Came out much better! Pre-salting seemed to be key!

Had the egg already at 500 for some fresh caught swordfish and threw the veggies on right after. Came out great! Appreciate all the help!

Ate to quickly to take any pics! Will get some next time. 
    MED - Manhattan
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    I slice lengthwise, 1/4" thick, brush with olive oil, sprinkle w/ garlic salt, place on hot grill.  Flip when you have grill marks on first side and grill till second side develops grill marks.  For an added touch, sprinkle tops with grated parmesan...
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Why not try cutting into discs 1/4" thick and brush with olive oil and then onto grate.. Direct and just flip once or twice.

That's just results in more pieces to flip and frustration.

@slick_rick
     I think more than getting good color/browning on Zucchini it's far more important to sauce it up correctly after it's grilled. Try tossing it with a vinaigrette, chimichurri, or another strong tasting sauce that's heavy on the acid as soon as it comes off the grill. And salt it well. Let's be honest,  Zucchini is bland and watery so it needs some TLC to make it shine. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    stuffed zucchini boats, casserole, deep fried.  grilled zucchini straight up is bland and watery as sonvolt mentioned,  i do alot of zucchini casseroles with tomatoes, onions, summer squash, cheese
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    Options
    I cut them in discs, brush with olive oil and light salt and pepper then let them sit for a bit. The same thing with zucchini. I'm  not a fan but my wife and kids love them with steaks or chicken. 
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    This is the way I do it with skewers so they are easy to flip, then serve with roasted jalapeño pesto sauce.  Very good summer ABT

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Mattman3969
    Options
    You won’t get color until they are dry.  PreSalt take care of the moisture issue.  Light spritz of oil the spices, hot grill then eat.   

What say @bgebrent ?

analyze adapt overcome

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You won’t get color until they are dry.  PreSalt take care of the moisture issue.  Light spritz of oil the spices, hot grill then eat.   

What say @bgebrent ?
    I agree Matt.  If they’re not dry first, you’re steaming and won’t get the color you want. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    bgebrent said:

What say @bgebrent ?
    I agree Matt.  If they’re not dry first, you’re steaming and won’t get the color you want. 
    Kinda like wok cooking at 350.  Lmao 

analyze adapt overcome

• Gator_Fan
    Options
    Salmon, zucchini and asparagus 

John,

Sellersburg, Indiana

• Gator_Fan
    Options
    Sorry, my picture won’t load 🤷‍♂️

John,

Sellersburg, Indiana