Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Sighting

Options
Chef John at Food Wishes.com and the Food Wishes YouTube channel.  His newest post is on Buttermilk BBQ Chicken.   It was a face slapper for me as in "That's so obvious!  Why haven't I thought to do that?"  Chef John's egg makes its appearance at about the 4:20 mark.

https://youtu.be/WW0qgxHlE4Q
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    Options
    I have been cooking chicken halves for 20 mins/side. I will try leaving it skin down or a shorter time. Thanks for sharing.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks like a winner!
    I have done the buttermilk soak but did not season the buttermilk...I will next time.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Still on my bucket list!  I need to make this.  Here are the ingredients and instructions from the video and website: 

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2019/07/buttermilk-barbecue-chicken-not-just.html

Ingredients for 2 portions:

1 whole chicken (about 2 1/2 to 3 lbs.), cut in half as shown

For the marinade:

2 cups buttermilk

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon cider vinegar

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 tablespoon smoked paprika

1 teaspoon cumin

1 teaspoon cayenne

2 tablespoons kosher salt

Mix all marinade ingredients.

Spatchcock and split a whole 2-3 lb chicken in half.

Marinate for 6 - 18 hours in a bag, in a bowl.

Pat dry with paper towel and sprinkle some salt on the skin.

Pre-heat Egg to 375-400 direct.

Cook chicken skin side up for 20 minutes.

Flip and cook skin side down for 5-10 minutes.

Flip skin side up until desired temp.

Serve immediately.

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Looks like a winner!
    I have done the buttermilk soak but did not season the buttermilk...I will next time.
    I’ve marinaded chicken in buttermilk before frying, but not before egging.  Fried chicken is not on the menu very often so that’s why I missed the connection.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokeyLopey
    Options
    Made this tonight...sorry, no pictures It was excellent! Followed recipe and directions on video (marinated 7 hours)...and look forward to doing it, again!
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    A couple things if you watch this video.  Chef John has a couple hip hop references injected in...one being from Biz Markie. Awesome.

Second, the intonation of his voice is very, uhhh...distinct.  The last two syllables of each phrase he uses end on the exact same, sing-songy two notes.  If that stuff distracts you like it does me, turn on closed captioning and hit mute! 

The content is fantastic though. Can’t wait to make this!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• SmokeyLopey
    Options
    Yes, @SaltySam, the way he speaks makes me a bit crazy; however, the few videos I have watched contain good info. 
  • bigworm
    bigworm Posts: 20
    Options
    Yes, @SaltySam, the way he speaks makes me a bit crazy; however, the few videos I have watched contain good info. 
    When I first got introduced to Chef John's videos about a year ago, I said the exact same thing. Now I don't even notice the voice thing anymore. I know that probably seems hard to believe, but give it some time and you won't even notice B)
    Large and a MM
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Very nice.  Will definitely have to try.  Thank you.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• SmokeyLopey
    Options
    Tried buttermilk, again, this evening, on one bone-in breast and two boneless breasts. All good; however, I think the recipe is more magical with skin-on, bone-in chickens. As before, I recommend this recipe.
  • mahenryak
    edited August 2019
    Options
    My chicken halves have been marinating overnight.  I will be cooking this afternoon.  The only change I'm tempted to make is to take advantage of my KAB adjustable divider and set up two zones--direct and indirect.  Still thinking bout this option.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I did this last weekend but used my platesetter, so the skin wasn't quite as dark.

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    bigworm said:
    When I first got introduced to Chef John's videos about a year ago, I said the exact same thing. Now I don't even notice the voice thing anymore. I know that probably seems hard to believe, but give it some time and you won't even notice B)
    Before Chef John "found his voice", this is what he sounded like. To me, very boring.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=-6_kRAZXyu0

BTW, Rick Bayless has an egg too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8kDMWIV71E

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mahenryak
    Options
    Botch said:
    I did this last weekend but used my platesetter, so the skin wasn't quite as dark.

I would be very happy with that result.  

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    You got it for the fried okra.....why not!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • mahenryak
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I ended up cooking indirect using CGS gear.  Here's a photo when nearly finished. 

Edit: The one in the back needed a little more time.  I let it cook another 10 minutes.